More and more often, people who live in noisy cities all year round are choosing quiet, peaceful places to relax. The popularity of European parks grows year by year: here you can take a walk, admire nature, do sports, spend time with your family, and in most cases have a barbecue. One such place is Meinau Park or Flower Island. You can visit the attraction all year round, but it is better to do it in spring and summer, when Mainau blooms with outlandish flowers, fragrant, becomes a birdhouse. Everyone who has been to the Island of Flowers at least once, will certainly settle it in his heart and dream of breathing in this air again.
The Story of Paradise Island
The history of the island began with the arrival of the Romans, who built a fort and fortifications here. In the ninth and thirteenth centuries, the community of the monastery of Reyenhau settled on the land. The main event in the island's fate occurred in 1853 - it became the summer residence of Duke Friedrich I. The royal gardener took care of the landscaping: he turned the land into a huge flower garden, planted exotic Mediterranean plants.
In 1932, Bernadotte of Sweden became the new owner of the land: they turned the island of flowers into a tourist attraction, opening it to free year-round visits.
Tourists are attracted to the island:
- Orchid Exhibition Opening of the Floral Year
- One million plants in bloom at a time
- One thousand varieties of ordinary roses and ten thousand varieties of shrub roses
- Twelve thousand colorful dahlias blooming at a time
- 3,000 varieties of orchids from all over the world
- Mini zoo
- Water rides
- Many outdoor cafes and restaurants.
The Bernadotte family owns the island buildings:
- Environmental Education Academy
- The company organizes environmental seminars and health training.
- Society of Gardeners
- Mainau School of Landscape Design.
- The island of Mainau was at the forefront of the fight for ecology: in 1961 a manifesto was signed here calling for the conservation of natural resources.
- The island is crossed by the "Baroque Route of Upper Swabia".
- On the island: Baroque palace, botanical gardens, greenhouses.
- The island is connected to the mainland by a pedestrian and vehicular bridge.
- Mainau - a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- A commemorative coin has been issued in honor of the park's founder, who lived one hundred and five years.