Kingsley School, Devon, Private School Kingsley School Devon
Description of Kingsley School, Devon, Private School Kingsley School Devon
- Location: Devon, England,
- Established: 1884,
- Number of students: about 420,
- Language of instruction: English,
- Type of training: mixed.
Kingsley School, Devon is an independent school that provides both full-time and residential programs.
The institution was created thanks to Charles Kingsley, who during his life managed to visit the chaplain of Queen Victoria in 1859, private tutor to the Prince of Wales in 1861 and canon of Westminster Abbey in 1873. The basis of the school was Edgehill College, opened in 1884 and teaching only girls. More than a hundred years later, in 2009, several institutions, including Edgehill, merged into the current strong Kingsley School. The educational institution is located on the historic campus of Edgehill and stores several surviving artifacts of those times.
An interesting fact about learning here is the commitment to modernity: in the process of studying academic material, students use digital technologies to search for information, work on projects and implement their ideas. Teachers use the Quality First methodology, which means high-quality explanations of educational aspects by teachers and the importance of understanding what students are explaining.
In high school, students are offered to take online courses using a special platform. Classes are held alone with the teacher using video communication. There is a choice of online study of one of three A-Level or BTEC subjects, the rest will be taught in person.
Things to know about
Environmental sustainability is one of the important aspects of the institution's activities. With a unique campus location in the UNESCO biosphere in North Devon and one of the world's 12 surf sanctuaries, the school is focused on environmental protection and sustainability.
Kingsley School puts climate action, biodiversity restoration and proper, healthy eating at the heart of its environmental sustainability policy. Therefore, in the training area, these three important factors meet in the Center of the Earth. By integrating Earth Center concepts into the curriculum and encouraging project work related to environmental sustainability, the school helps all students develop a deep understanding of problems, opportunities and solutions, related to the environment. Teachers strive to equip future graduates with the knowledge necessary to solve environmental problems faced by the entire population of the planet.
Facts about this aspect of Kingsley School:
- Tackling climate change: school aims to become carbon neutral by 2027,
- Biodiversity restoration: measuring environmental impacts through annual biodiversity audits conducted by students,
- Nutrition: developing in-depth knowledge and understanding of foods that are beneficial to health,
- Curriculum: integrating the concept of the Earth Center into teaching and learning at all key stages,
- World Leader: The institution strives to take a leading position in the field of ideas of the Earth Center, to become a leader among schools around the world.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Kingsley School, Devon, Private School Kingsley School Devon
Accommodation, meals, prices
There are three boarding houses on the campus:
- Belvoir House - for girls in grades 7-10,
- Carisbrooke - for boys in grades 7-10,
- Longfield is a shared home for high school students in grades 11-13 (separate rooms).
Each residential building is equipped with bedrooms, bathrooms, lounges, kitchens, cafes, laundry rooms and outdoor walking areas.
Weekdays start at 7:00 a.m. and breakfast is served at 8:00 a.m. Boarders spend a school day at school and then return to boarding houses by 17:00. Preparation and dinner continue until 6:30 p.m., after which students can relax and go about their business. The weekend at the residence is more relaxed: getting up at 10:00, a hearty brunch in the dining room until 10:45, and then entertainment activities starting at noon.
A professional team of chefs works to ensure that students are provided with a balanced, healthy and tasty diet throughout the day. Hot and cold dishes are served at each meal: breakfasts, lunches and dinners are à la carte, made with fresh products of local origin. The menu does not use products that cause allergies, a large amount of spices and sugar.
Activities Kingsley School, Devon, Private School Kingsley School Devon
Activities on the campus of Kingsley School are held both specialized - for different ages, and collectively - for all students. There are many activities throughout the week and on weekends: after-school clubs, sporting events, movie and game nights, outdoor entertainment.
On Saturdays, students leave campus for shopping and cinema, beach holidays, cycling, go-karting.
On Sundays, the focus is on relaxation: games in the gym, long walks, trips to nearby beaches.
Sports, music and dramatic art play an important role in development, so the youngest pupils of the institution in their free time attend game master classes of arts and crafts, lectures on academic subjects, robotics sections, reading, creating cartoons, knitting and many other areas.
Middle and high school students combine an academically rigorous program with the development of their interests:
- Sports: team and individual sports, including gymnastics, surfing, judo,
- Arts: music, drama, visual and performing,
- Ecology: participation in charity events, research and collective activities.
The school offers professional classes in surfing, judo and gymnastics. Qualified teachers with many years of experience and sports achievements are engaged with children from grades 3 to 12 both in groups and individually. The campus infrastructure, city playgrounds, beaches and indoor sports complexes are used to the fullest for the development of physical and emotional skills.
- Excellent final exam results: 100% passing score in A-Level and GCSE programs,
- 93% of high school students enroll in selected universities,
- Class sizes range from 5 to 16 people depending on the stage of study,
- About 20 nationalities are represented among the students,
- Surfing program for the summer holidays,
- Large-scale volunteer programs,
- A development center for students with dyslexia.
Facilities and equipment at Kingsley School, Devon, Private School Kingsley School Devon
The educational area of the school covers an area of 25 acres. Historic buildings with modern equipment, classrooms and specialized laboratories, gyms and open areas, walking areas and much more are created for the development of children from 2 to 18 years old.
Kingsley School provides its pupils with buses that take them to classes in the morning and home in the afternoon. They run at 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. in the following areas:
- North: Brownton,
- Northeast: Blackmore,
- East: North Moulton,
- South: Winkley, Torrington,
- Southwest: Kilhampton, Holsworthy.
The school also helps new students get to campus from the airport.
The campus has several distinctive features: it has more than 3200 different trees and shrubs planted by students. The school is responsible for the human impact on the environment, so it is engaged in waste recycling - about 60,000 liters of compost were obtained from food waste in the 2021-2022 academic year.
Admission dates and extra charges
The school year lasts from September to early July. Students study in three semesters: spring, summer and autumn; In between, small tests are organized to track academic performance.
Dates of training:
- Autumn: September 5-December 15,
- Winter holidays: December 16-January 7,
- Spring: 8 January-22 March,
- Spring break: March 23-April 14,
- Summer: April 15-July 5,
- Summer holidays: July 6-September 4.
Some additional costs:
- Deposit upon enrollment - 400 £,
- Deposit for accommodation in a residence for foreign students - 4000 £,
- Accommodation - from 12,650 to 22,420 £ depending on the class (full board for foreigners),
- One night in the residence - 65 £,
- Urgent check-in to the residence - 699 £ per week,
- Additional lessons, including English - from £ 46 per lesson,
- One-on-one teacher support – from £15.65 to £22.80 per hour.
Kingsley School Admission Procedure:
- Filling out the online application form with the provision of the necessary documents,
- Receiving a response from the admissions committee with an invitation to campus,
- Campus visit: acquaintance with faculty and staff, interviews, trial training and residential day,
- Payment of the necessary contributions,
- Filling out the latest registration documents and starting training.
Due to the high standards of the academic program, students regularly maintain excellent statistics of final exams, receiving a 100% passing score on them.
Graduates go on to top universities around the world, including:
- University of Oxford,
- University College London (UCL),
- King’s College London,
- Durham University,
- University of Exeter,
- University of Warwick,
- University of Manchester.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
To enroll in any of the stages, foreign applicants must provide:
- Personal documents: birth certificate, passport, health insurance and vaccination certificate, long-term visa or residence permit,
- Academic reports for the last two years of study, evaluation transcripts,
- Individual achievements and features: diplomas and certificates / medical certificates and doctors' recommendations - everything that teachers need to know to create a comfortable and effective learning atmosphere.
The school has a specialized center for teaching children with disabilities.
Before admission, future students are invited to attend a free trial day, which includes getting to know the teachers and the director, attending several lessons and recreational activities. The institution also provides a trial overnight stay in a boarding house so that students can fully feel whether this format of education is suitable for them.
Scholarships Kingsley School, Devon, Private School Kingsley School Devon
Kingsley School encourages its students in any achievements: study, sports, creativity, social activities and research.
List of scholarships provided:
- Specialized: ecology, surfing, music, judo, drama, gymnastics,
- University awards for successful high school students.
Scholarships can give a discount of 20% on tuition, boarding or additional classes.
The institution also provides continuing education allowances (CEAs) for children 8 years of age and older through the Family Power program.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Kingsley School, Devon, Private School Kingsley School Devon
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.