- Our professors demand change
- What is learning on an individual educational trajectory
- Why IOT will help universities and students
- How the new system is being introduced into Russian universities
- How online platforms help
In 2019, an innovative program “Individual educational trajectories” was launched in Russian universities. In Europe and the USA, individual development is a ubiquitous practice, so it is not surprising that global trends have reached us. How they adopt foreign experience in Russian universities - let's try to figure it out.
Our professors demand change
It is known that Russians are reluctant to accept innovations, suspiciously analyzing everything that is inspired by the West. At the same time, a crisis has matured in traditional universities associated with the rapid development of technology and society:
- Under the onslaught of computerization, the "lifespan" of professions is greatly reduced - they are born and die faster than ever
- Universities with classical programs lasting from 2 to 4 years do not have time to adapt to the labor market, in which the top in-demand specialties change every year
- Competition between students and universities is growing.
What is learning on an individual educational trajectory
The first thing that catches your eye is the independence of the choice of disciplines for study. Previously, it was possible to choose a course only from a list of subjects very close to the specialty, and some courses were made mandatory. For example, English language teachers were required to study Country Studies in Great Britain. According to the new training model:
- The program includes compulsory general disciplines, electives and specialized disciplines
- The student chooses subjects each semester as they wish
- Elective courses do not deepen the program, but expand it
- In some universities, you can study several related electives and receive a minor - a certificate of completing a course in an additional specialty
- IET excludes training in the usual groups - all students study according to an individual schedule.
Why IOT will help universities and students
Universities in Canada, the USA and Europe operate according to the system of individual development: if Russian universities switch to a similar system, students from Russia will be able to more comfortably participate in exchange programs. In European universities, a semester abroad is often included in the program of study, while Russian students, after studying abroad, often had to complete their missed program subjects at a domestic university.
How the new system is being introduced into Russian universities
Officially, since September 1, 2020, universities have switched to a new educational standard, but nowhere is it explicitly stated how universities should organize innovative education. Due to the fact that universities have not developed a unified model of individual educational trajectories, the new practice is often applied differently in each educational institution.
- Moscow City Pedagogical University - a huge number of elective courses
- Higher School of Economics - minor's (could we call them "minors"?) And electives
- Tyumen State University has completely switched to IOT: students study a block of general education subjects, attend electives, study specialized disciplines.
How online platforms help
On the Modeus platform, students can choose elective courses and add them to their schedule. The system helps:
- Track who signed up where
- Create flexible curricula
- Plan the workload for teachers
- Create individual schedules
- Monitor student progress.