Brighton & Hove Montessori School
Description of Brighton & Hove Montessori School
- Age of students: 2-12 years
- Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
- Founded: 1985
- Type of institution: private school
- Language of instruction: English
- Type: collaborative.
Brighton & Hove Montessori School was founded in 1985 to place children in a comfortable learning environment where, under the guidance of experienced AMI Montessori teachers, they can develop their potential and grow as independent, confident and responsible global citizens.
At Brighton & Hove Montessori School, children study in groups ranging from 2 to 6 and 6 to 12 years old. Children help each other and enthusiastically share skills and knowledge, the efforts of each child are respected and taken into account.
Teachers give individual and group presentations that introduce montessori resources and teaching methods. Every child practices, explores, and learns the way that suits them best.
The Montessori approach is characterized by the following:
- Mixed age groups,
- Practical training,
- Individual training,
- Mixed age groups,
- Different age groups (from 1 to 3, from 3 to 6, from 6 to 12, from 12 to 18 years) allow children to cooperate and learn from each other, from adults. Classes resemble workplaces or labs where different children work on different activities, alone or in small groups, following their interests and learning at their own pace.
Children learn through practical work, not by listening to what an adult has to say. They work using materials designed to help them master skills or areas of knowledge and understanding appropriate to their stage of development. These Montessori materials have been created and enhanced through hands-on experience working with tens of thousands of children over the past 100 years.
Each child's experience is unique. Individual lessons are offered for individuals or small groups, which allows you to establish an individual approach between the adult and each child. An adult knows well what each child has mastered or where he needs additional practice. An adult (called a guide) instructs regarding ownership and responsibility for one's own learning. Children develop concentration, confidence, self-discipline and a love of learning.
The International Montessori Association has a Research Committee chaired by pediatric neuropsychiatrist Dr. Stephen Hughes. The Committee is responsible for collating and commissioning studies of the possible outcomes of Montessori education.
Some studies of Montessori pedagogy:
- Montessori education gives better results than traditional education.
This study, published in the prestigious journal Science (September 2006 issue), compared the results of children at a downtown Montessori public school with children who attended traditional secondary schools in Brighton. His key conclusion was that Montessori education leads to the upbringing of children with better social and academic skills.
- Results for Students in the Montessori Program
This is a study of Montessori public schools in Milwaukee, USA. This shows that Montessori can have a positive long-term impact when children successfully transition to traditional schools. A key finding of the study was that attending a Montessori program in early childhood predicted significantly higher grades in math and science in high school.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Brighton & Hove Montessori School
- Freya Barry works at the school as a permanent chef – Freya studied in Paris and is recognized as one of Rick Stein's "Food Heroes" in his BBC book.
- Register and attend the Open House,
- Attend a consultation with a school specialist,
- Fill out the application form on the waiting list either online or by sending a copy back to Montessori,
- When there are free places, the school will invite you and your child to visit the institution.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Admission is made in the order of entry into the waiting list, but priority will be given to children with previous experience of Montessori education.
To be enrolled in the school, you must provide the following package of documents:
- Completed form,
- Certificate of assessments for the last 2-3 years,
- Payment of the administrative fee,
- Motivation letter,
- Confirmation of knowledge of English.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Brighton & Hove Montessori School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.