American Academy – Qatar
Description of American Academy – Qatar
- Year of foundation: 2014,
- Location: Al Waqr, Qatar,
- Age of students: 3–18,
- Number of students: 1000+,
- Language of instruction: English,
- Type of study: private day school.
The school was founded in 2014 as a small educational institution for fifteen hundred students. American Academy – Qatar quickly gained popularity and went through several stages of successive modernization to offer students a variety of opportunities – academic, cultural, sports and infrastructure.
The school accepts students from preschool to 12th grade, follows a U.S. curriculum based on standards to prepare students for higher education. Teaching is conducted in English, French as a foreign language is introduced from the 4th grade.
American Academy – Qatar has all the necessary international accreditations and is a member of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges as a candidate member of the organization, is an inclusive school that recruits children with learning difficulties and special educational needs.
Until grade 9, it is mandatory to study the history of Qatar in English and Arabic.
Pupils in grades 12 are required to learn Arabic; the program is differentiated for native speakers and expats.
Muslim pupils must receive an Islamic education regardless of their level of Proficiency in Arabic and nationality.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in American Academy – Qatar
Accommodation, meals, prices
The school does not offer its pupils dormitories and does not deal with accommodation issues. A convenient and extensive network of bus routes connecting the school with different settlements has been organized.
Activities American Academy – Qatar
Extracurricular activities, including art, music, drama and recitation, are an integral part of the learning process. In addition, children can engage in drawing, cutting and appliqué, gluing and sewing, using various materials to create works of art.
Older students develop talents for music and vocals by arranging and improvising, applying the knowledge gained in other subject areas.
As they grow older, the personal and social development of children progresses, they receive the necessary social skills, become more independent, get an idea of the rules of safety, personal hygiene, health protection.
Excursions to the zoo, bakery, fire station, animal shelters and museums, library and park are common. Lessons in the most unexpected places, including the grocery store, contribute to the acquisition of useful practical experience in various fields.
AAS students participate in the Regional Conference "Model UN", being considered the best team in the Gulf countries and having won many prestigious awards.
- Education of independent students who are able to work qualitatively and skillfully, set goals and take responsibility for their studies and their own decisions;
- Training in effective communication strategies that allow you to use technology to expand knowledge, express ideas and information coherently and confidently;
- Development of critical thinking skills, broad interdisciplinary knowledge;
- Effective personal and corporate communication strategies.
Facilities and equipment at American Academy – Qatar
Classrooms are bright and spacious, equipped with interactive whiteboards with high-speed Internet access, providing students with sufficient space for reading, discussions and any other formats of classes.
In addition, students can benefit from:
- Computer laboratories (directly integrated into the program as a teaching tool) with modern equipment and a sufficient number of PCs with Internet access;
- 3 scientific laboratories with modern equipment and equipment that allow to conduct physical, biological and chemical experiments;
- A richly stocked library with a convenient catalog and a wide range of literature, including both works of art and reference manuals, textbooks, periodicals. The funds are replenished annually, access to a large number of full-text online resources and databases is provided;
- An art studio that allows you to develop your talents in the field of fine arts;
- A music hall with an impressive range of instruments - from keyboard and drum installation to strings and winds, which allows you to practice music in various genres;
- An excellently equipped medical office with the constant duty of two nurses.
In addition, a wide range of sports facilities are available, including:
- Indoor sports facilities (sports hall, badminton and tennis courts, swimming pool with a track length of 25 meters);
- Outdoor sports stadium with modular stands, electronic scoreboard and 400-meter-long running tracks;
- Football field, tennis courts and volleyball courts;
- Playgrounds with synthetic turf;
- Separate playgrounds and sports grounds for pupils of the kindergarten to provide a suitable developing atmosphere for the youngest students.
Admission dates and extra charges
Classes are held from August to June, enrollment of new students is possible throughout the year (subject to availability).
In addition to tuition fees, other fees are charged:
- For textbooks and manuals – 1500 QAR/year;
- For uniforms – from 800 QAR/year;
- Non-refundable deposit – 500 QAR;
- Registration fee (against payment for the last semester) – 1500 QAR;
- Entrance exam fees are 500 QAR.
- Fill out an application, attach copies of documents;
- As soon as there are free places, the administration will invite applicants for an interview and evaluation of children (not all children receive an invitation). The interview allows you to assess whether the school will be useful for the child and whether the child, in turn, will be able to contribute to the success of the school. A video recording is being made. For preschoolers, the interview is conducted in the form of a game;
- Entrance examinations are held both orally and in writing, in paper and digital format, in a number of subjects:
- English language
- natural sciences (for grades 9–12).
The minimum required score is 60%.
The final decision on enrollment is made by the commission, parents receive a letter about the results of the consideration with an unconditional offer for a period of 14 days: during this period it is necessary to pay a non-refundable fee of 1500 QAR.
In the absence of free seats, the child can be placed in the waiting pool. Students in reserve must reapply next year.
In order to secure a place in the following year, it is necessary to make an advance payment of 2000 QAR; otherwise, the student will not be able to continue his studies at school.
The package of documents includes:
- three recent passport-size photographs;
- a copy of the child's passport, local identity card and birth certificate;
- a copy of the parents' passports;
- copies of school reports for the last 2 years (with certified translation into English or Arabic);
- a letter of recommendation from the principal of the previous school;
- vaccination and medical card;
- a letter from the sponsor, a certificate of transfer (if necessary).
All documents must be provided with a notarized translation into English or Arabic.
If there are special training needs, it is necessary to provide reports of psychologists, speech therapists and other specialists.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Applications are considered individually, taking into account:
- academic abilities,
- additional training needs,
The selection criteria are based on:
- the effectiveness of entrance examinations,
- the outcome of the interview with the coordinator, principal or any other representative of the school,
- compliance with age and level of development,
- past academic achievements,
- Level of English proficiency (children are expected to be fluent, able to read and write at an age-appropriate level).
Pre-KG, KG1, KG2 and Year 1 applicants go through an assessment of the level of development, independence, ability to meet hygienic needs.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about American Academy – Qatar
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.