The Agency for Strategic Initiatives (ASI) has been developing a study on the school-2030 for several years and published a foresight forecast of what the school might look like in a few years. What conclusions did the scientists come to?
Foresight forecast for school-2030
Big changes in the educational process
It is quite possible that the new generations being born in the 2030s will find themselves in a completely different school. Meanwhile, education is one of the most conservative spheres of life, even more than religion. After all, training is built strictly according to the canons - lessons are 45 minutes long, there are breaks between classes, all training is conducted under the guidance of a teacher. Simple truths of school education are passed down from generation to generation and live for more than one century. Today we are applying the ideas of the mass school, which originated in the 20th century, when the industrial leap required a large number of educated people. The main task of the school was to increase the level of literacy of the population, but today all these goals have long lost their relevance . The main methods of study used to be memorizing information and taking note-taking - both methods today have no value, they were defeated by Wikipedia and gadgets.
New generations are much easier to absorb technology and learn quickly, which is why teens are often better gadgets than adults. According to experts' forecasts, the generation born in the 2020s will become the most educated and intelligent in the near future. How to teach children in the age of the Internet, Wikipedia, and increasingly smart gadgets? Every day this issue becomes more and more relevant.
In fact, the process of reforming traditional education has already started, and the USE is only a minor modification. The school needs to revise all of its constants:
- Educational institutions are gradually moving away from the rule "the teacher speaks - the student listens", more and more emphasis is placed on self-education. Instead of memorizing, children are encouraged to conduct their own research and participate in project work.
- The idea of forming classes by age is being revised.
- Dividing children and students into classes is another “sacred cow”. Since 2020, universities are introducing an individual vector education program, according to which students will stop studying in groups, will be able to draw up a study plan on their own and attend classes every day according to their own schedule, meet new faces. How is this useful? Helps develop social skills and find people with similar interests.
- The monopoly on teacher knowledge has already been severely eroded, and this trend will only increase. In the 2030s, the teacher will have to turn from a storyteller into a guide to knowledge.
Individual study plans
Pavel Luksha, one of the forecasters and director of corporate educational programs at the Skolkovo Moscow School of Management, believes that continuous, long-term and continuous education at a school or university can “become the lot of losers”. Why?
- New generations will be able to shape their own educational trajectory without the help of traditional institutions. Why is it important? In a modern school focused on "mass character", very little space is given to the individual needs of children. Some children learn information easily and quickly and they are often bored in the classroom, others are slower. And the teacher, whose task is to give basic knowledge and keep within the program, cannot pay attention to both leading children and lagging children in the same way.
- According to the authors of the forecast, education in the future will look like a constructor, which can be assembled according to your interests and needs. Psychologists and tutors, as well as parents who have completed “advanced training courses in parenting”, will help to create an educational trajectory.
- And it will be possible to study not with one book, but with the help of a textbook with artificial intelligence, which will develop digests at the request of a student. Here is such variability in everything!
Luggage of achievements and disclaimers
Grades at a five-point school or university pass / fail give only a formal and schematic representation of academic performance; they cannot reflect student success in creativity or volunteering. For these reasons, many countries already widely use the method of collecting portfolios - certificates, diplomas and awards that reflect the learning experience in detail.
Game and game achievements accounting
Play will be an important element in learning and developing valuable skills. For example, the game "Civilization" is able to tell more clearly about the structure of society than all the textbooks put together. A computer game gives an understanding of issues of foreign policy, economics and the distribution of resources, here you don't have to cram, but you will need to dive. Players can try themselves in the role of great rulers of the world and build their own prosperous civilization, here you can also "pump" communication skills - the ability to negotiate and find allies.
Studies will go beyond schools and universities, and there will be much more subjects of study. For example, members of the same family will be able to create educational spaces where everyone is teaching each other something. The main thing is that families will be able to stop living according to old patterns, learn to talk and interact, and as a result become closer people.
Moving away from traditional educational institutions
The tragedy of mass education lies in the orientation towards the average student, not the individual. In the future, there will be a variety of non-classical institutions that will help to develop in a more comfortable environment focused on the student's individuality. An example of such an organization can be considered "Total Dictation".
Professors for millions of audiences
Just as we listen to the music of our favorite performers who are physically located on another continent, in the future we will be able to listen to lectures by prominent professors from Oxford or Stanford. A striking example is the online platform Coursera, which is attended by professors from Stanford, Princeton, Caltech and other universities.
Double hump effect
According to forecasts, the education sector will have its ups and downs: first, innovations will reach their peak, and then an education crisis awaits us, accompanied by a war of standards and formats, after which new solutions will appear that set advanced formats. The "Rise-bust-rise-bust" scenario is typical for innovation sectors. A striking example is the fall of dot-coms, when technology stocks collapsed at once.
“We want to give an answer to the challenge facing the whole world! .. By 2025 we predict the disappearance of the forms of education we are accustomed to - they will be replaced by something else, ” said Pavel Luksha, one of the compilers of the Education 2030 project.