Maine Central Institute private school
Description of Maine Central Institute private school
- Year of foundation: 1866
- Location: Pittsfield, USA
- Age of students: 15-19 years old
- Type of institution: private boarding school
- Language of instruction: English
- Type of studying: mixed
- Form of study: day
- Number of students: 500.
Maine central institute (MCI) is an independent, private day school in Pittsfield, Maine, which was founded in 1866. A picturesque place near the Atlantic Ocean has to cycling, fishing, sailing. Teenagers from all over the world come here: about one fifth of the students are foreign students. MCI prepares future leaders with high communication, creative, and professional skills. To assess the level of knowledge gained at school, the following types of examinations are used:
- Manson Essay for juniors is an independent research in the chosen field with the final oral presentation.
- Senior project - a test for high school students who fully mastered the methods of research and oratory.
Parents have the opportunity to choose for the student the courses that are most appropriate to the schedule and professional goals. Academic and career counselors work at MCI to help to determine the right direction of education . Maine Central Institute is best known for its schools of mathematics and classical ballet.
Weekly program designed to familiarize newbies with MCI. In the mornings, students attend math and English classes, dine in the canteen, get to know the campus, and participate in various activities to meet with faculty and staff before high school students arrive.
The ESL program is designed for students who have difficulty mastering the English language and is divided into three levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. MCI offers intensive TOEFL and SAT preparation throughout the school year.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Maine Central Institute private school
Accommodation, meals, prices
The school is a short drive from nearby world-class colleges and museums, it takes an hour to reach the coast of Maine and the mountains, and Bangor International Airport is just 37 miles from the campus. For students built 3 residences: two for boys and one for girls. Students can have a TV, mini-fridge, iron, stereo and personal computer in their rooms. Common lounges are provided for students to communicate, and there is a laundry in the basement of each residence.
Activities Maine Central Institute private school
The school practices organized trips to the cinema, shopping and restaurants. The Bossov Ballet Theater is a resident of the MCI school, its dancers captivated the scene throughout Maine. The school’s extra-curricular extracurricular program includes 27 sections and clubs, including:
- Jazz ensemble
- Chess Club
- Ballet dances
- Film studio and even magic!
Sports in Maine Central Institute:
- Field hockey
- American football
- Running sports.
- Statistics enrollment of Maine Central Institute graduates in universities - 100%
- MCI graduates conquer admissions committees of Boston University, Colby College, Unity College, University of Maine, Brown, Cornell, and other famous universities
- Over 8,000 people graduated from school, including basketball stars Sam Cassel and Caron Butler, successful ballet dancers Lori Celeste and Johanna Reuter
- Teachers try on an individual approach to learning, each student has his own adviser on academic and professional issues
- The 24 acre campus in Pittsfield is one of the most beautiful and safe areas of Maine.
- Once a week there is a student meeting with the curator of studies, as a result of which the parents receive a report on the student’s academic progress.
Facilities and equipment at Maine Central Institute private school
- The Powell Memorial Library and Media Center is the academic center of the school campus, where students have access to electronic and print resources: more than 8,000 books of fiction and non-fiction
- 7 educational buildings
- Chemical laboratory
- Center for Mathematics and Science
- Cozy reading room
- Technical laboratory - space for students
- Photo and video studio equipped with professional studio backgrounds and studio lighting, 3-D printer, digital cameras and digital recorder
- Own theater for student productions and musical performances
- Ballet Studio by Andrey Bossov
- Health center
- Autonomous TV station
- Indoor gym
- A fitness center
- Shooting range
- Fields for game sports
- Botanical Garden.
Admission dates and extra charges
Admission to private schools in US is conducted in January and in August.
Expenses during the school year in Independent schools in USA:
- Student room, food and tuition
- Individual learning day for students
- Medical insurance
- International student fee.
- Medical insurance 1285 USD
- Registration fee (for a programme/course) 1250 USD
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Admission to the MCI continues during the school year and in the summer. The decision on admission is taken a couple of weeks after receipt of all documents. A campus visit and interview is strongly recommended for all applicants. Admission to MCI is based on:
- School Appraisal Pupil
- Motivational letter
- The recommendations of the class teacher and teachers in English and mathematics
- Standardized testing SSAT, PSAT, SAT, TOEFL or CAT (you can take it at school)
- Registration fee.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Maine Central Institute private school
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.