Lake Tahoe Prep School (ex Squaw Valley Academy)
Description of Lake Tahoe Prep School (ex Squaw Valley Academy)
- Established: in 1978
- Location of the Lake Tahoe Prep School: Olympic Valley (Lake Tahoe), California
- Students age: 14-18 years
- Number of students: within 100
- Programs: middle school, high school, AP, summer courses
- Type of study: mixed
- Accommodation type: residence, guesthouse
- Language: English.
Lake Tahoe Prep School (formerly known as Squaw Valley Academy) is one of America's most famous and prestigious private schools. The educational system of this institution was developed by the University of California. Also worth mentioning is that Lake Tahoe Prep School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and meets all the standards of secondary education available in this state.
The location of the school will also please its students and their parents: it is located at the foot of the ski valley of Squaw Valley, where the Olympic Games were held in 1960. Perhaps, it is such an advantageous arrangement that allows harmoniously combining both the academic process and outdoor sports in the curriculum.
The school annually attracts foreign students from all over the world: Russia, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Norway, Scotland, France, Spain, Armenia, Turkey, China, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Canada, Brazil And others.
Lake Tahoe Prep School is widely known for the fact that 100% of its graduates enter higher educational institutions. The students of this private school receive excellent education, which allows them to easily enter the famous universities of the country:
- California State University;
- Colorado College;
- Notre Dame;
- Sarah Lawrence;
- U.S. Naval Academy and not only.
The secret of this success lies in the fact that besides the quality of program, the teachers of the school adhere to an individual approach in the studying of their pupils. That's why the academic groups here are not very big - 10-12 people.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Lake Tahoe Prep School (ex Squaw Valley Academy)
Accommodation, meals, prices
There are several residences on campus, in which boys and girls live separately. In the buildings the pupils are accommodated in 2 cozy rooms with a private bathroom with shower, beds, tables, refrigerator and even a safe. In the cafeteria of all students a diverse and full-fledged diet is offered, organized on a full board basis.
Subjects and sports
Subject list: algebra, Art, astronomy, biology, chemistry, computation, economics, electronics, Environmental science, Geometry, History of europe, literature, Mathematics, music, Physics, politics, Preparation for TOEFL, Psychology, social sciencies, Spanish Literature, sports science, technology, the photo, World history, History of america
Activity list: football
Activities Lake Tahoe Prep School (ex Squaw Valley Academy)
Lake Tahoe Prep School offers its students in addition to the academic program a rich extracurricular program, which includes sports and creativity. Thus, the school seeks to educate in its students the desire to overcome difficulties and develop creativity. Types of possible activities for students are as follows:
- Mountain skiing
- Mountain biking
- Viewing movies
In their free time, students are also offered a large number of different activities and excursions - this is visiting museums, hiking, walking in amusement parks and much more. In the Lake Tahoe Prep School, there are also many different clubs of interest.
Special attention is also paid to the formation of high behavioral standards, the ability to keep oneself in society.
Facilities and equipment at Lake Tahoe Prep School (ex Squaw Valley Academy)
Lake Tahoe Prep School on the California border is 322 km from San Francisco and 72 km from the nearest airport in Reno. Very close to the school is the town of Olympic Wells and the large Lake Tahoe, surrounded by landscapes of incredible beauty.
The school itself is equipped with everything necessary to provide its students with comfortable tuition and living. There is a library with a good base, well-equipped classrooms, a computer center and, of course, technology labs for research.
There are several sports halls, an indoor swimming pool for extra-curricular activities on the campus, and there are design studio centers, photographs.
Admission dates and extra charges
Students are admitted to the Lake Tahoe Prep School several times a year - in August, November, January or March. Therefore, the chances of enrolling so are very high (of course, given the knowledge of English) no matter how long you began to prepare the necessary documentation.
The schedule of one academic year in a famous American school looks like this: the first semester starts in August at 20 numbers and lasts until December with a short break for vacations in November (19.11-28.11). Almost immediately after the new year - from January 2 - the second semester begins. In the second half of the academic year also there is a small vacation, dropping out for a week in March. The semester and the academic year end on May 20, and from July 2 to August 11 the school accepts all those wishing to undergo the summer program.
In addition to the cost of the school year at the Lake Tahoe Prep School, parents are expected to receive several additional costs:
- Passing the testing
- Registration fee
- Visa service and consular fee of the embassy,
- Academic deposit
- Airline tickets and roundtrip transportation
- Medical insurance.
- Registration fee (for a programme/course)
- Visa fees
- Transfer (return)
- Flight tickets
- Pocket money
- Study materials
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
The main criterion for admission is the knowledge of English at least at a basic level. The level of knowledge is assessed upon admission, and if necessary, entrants have the opportunity to take additional language classes included in the cost.
In order to enroll in the Lake Tahoe Prep School, the entrant should prepare and send to school the following documents:
- Report card for the current and previous 2 years (with translation);
- An essay in English written by the student in a manual;
- Letter of recommendation from the class teacher of the child or the principal in which he studies at the time of application;
- Pass the TOEFL exam and attach the results to the package of documents.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Lake Tahoe Prep School (ex Squaw Valley Academy)
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.