Dominican University of California English Language School
Description of Dominican University of California English Language School
- Location: San Rafael, California, USA
- Year of foundation: 1961
- Language of instruction: English
- Type of training: mixed.
Dominican University of California English Language School is the ELS language center of Dominican University, which in turn is the only four-year private university in Marin County.
ELS courses teach fundamental english skills in small groups divided by level of expertise. Having successfully completed the last level - 112, the student gets the opportunity to enter the Dominican University or the nearest colleges, partner universities of ELS. In addition to the main courses, students can prepare for international tests IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Dominican University of California English Language School
Accommodation, meals, prices
Students have the opportunity to choose a convenient accommodation option for them:
- Accommodation in a host family: a single room in a house near the study campus. The student must get to school himself, renting a bicycle or using public transport. Each of the students is provided with 14 meals per week. The cost of accommodation and meals will cost $ 1500 for 4 weeks.
- Student residence outside the campus: the residential building is located in a quiet area of the city, the road to the center will take about five minutes on a free shuttle. In the dormitory, students are accommodated in double rooms for $ 1170 per person. Meal plans are not included in the price, however, each student can use the shared kitchen or eat in the nearest restaurants, cafes.
Activities Dominican University of California English Language School
In San Rafael, there are many places of interest to tourists:
- Muir Woods National Monument – a forest of redwood trees 30 minutes from San Francisco
- Alcatraz – a former prison converted into a museum
- Six Flags theme park with exhibitions, wildlife shows, the only "swimming with dolphins" program in California
- Park at the Golden Gate
- Telegraph Avenue
- Point Reyes National Coast – rocky coast, sandy beaches, green meadows
- Napa and Sonoma Valleys – vineyards, hiking and cycling trails, shopping areas.
Many attractions are 20-60 minutes away by public transport.
The fitness center hosts both group and individual education. There are many sports clubs on campus:
- Basketball, football, volleyball
National teams are divided into women's and men's teams to participate in inter-university competitions.
ELS students can join any of the clubs in four areas:
- Academic Associations
- General activities, service
- Special interests.
Every year, university students organize thematic events: parties, festivals, graduation and New Year balls, the holiday "Dedication to students" and much more.
- Urban Campus
- Use of all infrastructure owned by the university
- ELS – IELTS Preparation Center
- Foreign students from Portugal, China, Italy, Japan and other countries
- Highly qualified teachers
- Possibility to study full-time or online
- Cooperation with more than 650 universities, colleges.
Facilities and equipment at Dominican University of California English Language School
ELS is located on a secure suburban campus at the foot of Mount San Pedro in the sunny state of California. The university is home to 1800 students.
The location of the campus allows students to explore attractions, explore American culture: the language center is located near San Francisco, the Golden Gate and many other tourist places.
ELS students have access to virtually all of the campus infrastructure:
- Computer labs
- Library, reading rooms
- Recreation areas, living rooms
- Music, dance studios, art classes
- Games, gyms, fitness center
- Outdoor basketball, baseball, football fields, tennis court
- Outdoor swimming pool
- Car, bicycle parking
- Wellness centre
Admission dates and extra charges
The student can take language courses both full-time and online. Each program contains from 4 to 48 weeks of learning English, periodic verification tests to move to the next level. At the end of the training, the student receives a certificate.
Depending on the chosen program, a weekly schedule is built: from 15 to 45 lessons per week.
- Entrance fee – 180$
- Fee for materials, technologies – 110$
- Medical insurance – 180$
- Courier aid – 110$
- Campus Use – $60
- Supplement for additional weeks of study – from $ 325
- Accommodation – $500 per week
- Transfer from the airport – 190$.
Additional expenses for foreign students also include the issuance of a foreign passport, visa documents, consular fees, plane tickets.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Admission of new students takes place on Mondays every four weeks throughout the year.
Requirements for applicants:
- Introductory language testing
- Completed application form (available for download, online on the official ELS website)
- Registration fee paid
- Prepayment for training
- Financial Reference
- F-1 Student Visa, Passport, Health Insurance
- Language requirements: TOEFL iBT (from 46), TOEFL pBT (from 453), IELTS (4.0), TOEIC (from 550).
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Dominican University of California English Language School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.