Recently, India came out on top in the list of the most populous countries in the world, ahead of the People's Republic of China. China has long held the lead on this point, but India still managed to overtake its neighbor. The population of India has exceeded 1.4 billion people, and the number of people in China at the moment is 1.33 billion. It was assumed that India would overtake the Celestial Empire only by 2030, but the forecasts came true much earlier.
To better understand such gigantic figures, here are some comparative facts.
- In India, there are almost as many representatives of the Muslim religion as in Pakistan – about 200 million people. However, for Pakistan, this figure is more than 90% of the population, and for India - only 14%.
- Every day, more than 8 million people travel by commuter trains in the city of Mumbai, which is more than the population of Moldova, Bosnia and Herzegovina or Bulgaria.
- In one of the Indian states called Uttar Pradesh, more people live than in the huge Brazil. The population of the region is more than 245 million Indians, and in Brazil - 212 million.
- In a pair of states of India and the state of Bangladesh, there are as many people as on about half of the earth's landmass! On the Web, you can find a picture comparing the population of the two territories.
- At the beginning of the twentieth century, about 240 million people lived in India. For 121 years, the population of the state has grown by more than 500%.
- The average population density of the most populous state is 423 people per square kilometer. In the state of Bihar - about 4 times higher, 1600 people per kilometer squared.