IH London Language School
Description of IH London Language School
- Location: London, England,
- Established: 1953,
- Language of instruction: English,
- Type: mixed.
IH London is one of the best language schools in England, offering English language programs, education for beginners, and teacher accreditation courses. In the winter months, children who have arrived on vacation from different countries are educated on campus, but with one goal - to improve their speaking skills and get unforgettable emotions from living in an English-speaking country.
The history of the institution began in 1953, when its founders John and Brita Haycraft decided to establish a school aimed at international education and the creation of a community of different cultures. Ten years later, the Haycraft family introduced the first teacher qualification, now known as CELTA.
Today, IH London is part of a large-scale network of educational institutions International House (IH) along with more than 150 schools from 50 countries. Another feature is the teaching staff - all teachers have higher accreditations at a relatively young age, which gives them the opportunity to find an individual approach and a common language with each pupil.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in IH London Language School
Accommodation, meals, prices
The educational institution offers three accommodation options: residences, hotels and apartments, accommodation with a host family. Depending on the age and wishes of the student, the staff will prepare housing before his arrival on campus.
Homestay is a great opportunity to plunge into the life of local residents and regularly practice spoken English. This option is also the most economical and "homely", includes caring control and providing assistance in any situation. Students from 16 to 18 years old only have access to this format of accommodation, as host families will give the maximum positive experience from living in England and studying at IH London.
Host families offer several types of housing comfort:
- Standard: comfortable houses with bedrooms and shared bathrooms,
- Superior: spacious houses with large rooms and bathrooms,
- Premium: spacious houses with a private bedroom and bathroom.
Students can also choose the format of meals: breakfast only or half board with 4-7 dinners per week. Some families allow two students to settle together.
The residences are accommodation for students over the age of 18, providing them with their own kitchen, a small bathroom and a bedroom. Kitchens can be both shared (in suite format) and private (in studio format). The residential buildings have a gym, a self-study area, a living room with a projector, board games. From the educational buildings can be reached by public transport or on foot.
The minimum stay in the residence is two weeks:
- Aldgate Residence,
- Chelsea Residence,
- Old Street Residence.
The residences are also home to children arriving for short-term programs during the holidays.
Information about available hotels and apartments can be requested from the school staff. Most residential buildings are located less than a 10-minute walk from the campus, local amenities and entertainment centers. Students are accommodated in comfortable rooms or full-fledged apartments, having a free daily routine and no restrictions. This accommodation option is available only to adult students - 18 years and older.
In the educational building of IH London there is a café offering a wide selection of dishes, snacks and drinks from early morning until late evening. All meals are prepared daily using high quality fresh ingredients. Students can make their own diet, choosing dishes from the salad bar, fish and meat (including halal), cakes and cakes, coffee and tea.
Activities IH London Language School
Students of all courses are offered an extensive program of activities: from lectures by guest speakers to excursions around London and the cities closest to it. Children will visit Oxford, Cambridge and Brighton, explore natural landscapes and get unique emotions from a variety of entertainment.
London is considered the greenest capital of Europe: here you can find eight royal parks, several hundred walking areas and shady alleys available for both hiking and cycling.
The city has thousands of unique restaurants with dishes from different countries, trendy rooftop bars and terraces, concert venues, shops and markets - an active and versatile London will allow students to feel like locals and feel its atmosphere.
- IH London is voted by EL Gazette as the best school in London in 2019,
- The EAQUALS inspection has confirmed high quality standards in all areas of the school's activities, with most of them exceeding the standard bar, demonstrating continued excellence,
- Educators are CELTA qualified, many are DELTA accredited. Both qualifications prove a high level of language teaching skills and are assessed by the University of Cambridge,
- IH London is one of the largest IELTS, BULATS, OET testing centers in Europe. Students from many institutions come here to take a language test and get certified.
Facilities and equipment at IH London Language School
The campus of the institution is located in the beautiful area of Covent Garden in central London, next to it are shops, cafes, restaurants and theaters of the West End. Within walking distance, students will discover the Royal Opera House, the British Museum, and the National Gallery.
The area has modern equipment:
- A large library and resource center with more than 10,000 books, magazines, digital data,
- 53 spacious classrooms with interactive whiteboards,
- Computer Center,
- Fast, free Wi-Fi throughout.
There are several metro stations within five minutes of the campus, making it easier to explore the architectural, cultural and natural attractions of the capital of England. Students also have access to ground public transport: taxis, buses, trams.
Admission dates and extra charges
The school is open throughout the year. The curriculum for each program is individual, as well as the duration of their passage. Students rest on Saturdays and Sundays, on national and international holidays.
Additional costs vary depending on the course chosen, but the common ones are:
- Registration fee and deposit,
- Health insurance,
- Personal expenses: leisure, public transport, souvenirs.
The admission procedure includes steps that can be completed online:
- Filling out the registration form and providing documents,
- Receiving a positive response from the admissions committee with further instructions,
- Arrival on campus for entrance testing,
- Distribution by classes and the beginning of education.
Students arriving from other countries can expect to receive a transfer from the airport.
Regardless of which course a student completes at IH London, everyone will have amazing opportunities for further education and career: from admission to English-speaking institutions around the world to obtaining a place for internships and work in companies.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
All applicants must provide a package of documents, including a passport, medical insurance and a visa. IH London staff will help you apply for a visa to stay in England by sending an invitation.
Since the school is aimed at learning English, certificates of the existing level will not be required upon admission - candidates pass an entrance test when registering on campus.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about IH London Language School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.