Heriot-Watt University Dubai
Description of Heriot-Watt University Dubai
- Location: Dubai, UAE,
- Year of foundation: 2005,
- Number of students: about 4000,
- Language of instruction: English,
- Type of education: mixed.
Heriot-Watt University Dubai is an international university with a long history, located on a modern campus in Dubai. Local and international students come here for quality knowledge, undergraduate and graduate programs in business and industry.
The institution was founded in 1821 and now has campuses in the UK, Malaysia and Dubai, educating more than 30,000 students from 150 countries. In the UAE, the university came into existence in 2005 and was granted a permanent study area in 2021.
As the first British university to open a campus in Dubai, Heriot-Watt University has established itself as a pioneer in the UAE higher education market. The university's reputation is built on its faculty of highly qualified and internationally experienced educators, its many partnerships with local and foreign organizations, and its cutting-edge approaches to training new professionals. Internationality among students, diversity of programs and courses, curriculum accreditation and modern campus facilities are also features of the institution.
Faculties and colleges
The university has several specialized schools:
- Dubai Global College,
- Energy, Geosciences, Infrastructure and Society,
- Engineering and Physical Sciences,
- Mathematical and Computer Sciences,
- Social Sciences,
- Edinburgh Business School in Dubai,
- Textiles and design.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Heriot-Watt University Dubai
Accommodation, meals, prices
Students can ask staff for help in finding and booking accommodation near campus, as there is everything in Dubai: apartments, apartments, rooms in comfortable hotels and residences, houses and other options.
The university most often offers accommodation in student residences, where studios, single and double rooms are prepared. Amenities include shared or private showers, equipped kitchens, access to the fitness center, pool and recreation areas. The apartment building is adjacent to cafes and restaurants, public transportation and attractions.
Also popular are the apartments: one and two-bed apartments with individual bathrooms, kitchens and living rooms. The apartment complex is closest to campus, but is not the cheapest option for living.
Activities Heriot-Watt University Dubai
The University offers an active student life, perfectly compatible with academic development. Students can spend their free time participating in clubs and communities: sports, creative, academic and social. Sports are represented by many activities: basketball, cricket, dance, soccer, volleyball, table tennis and others. Creative clubs are meetings with like-minded people in recording studios, art classes, trips to exhibitions and participation in events. Each community brings its own contribution to the life of the university and strengthens the relationship between students and teachers, creating an international community.
Collective events are regularly organized on campus: discos, culture days, board game nights, field trips and many others. Participation is optional, but most students enjoy attending these events.
- No. 230 in the world, No. 45 in the UK and No. 7 in Scotland for overall learning satisfaction in the Guardian University Guide 2023 rankings,
- More than 80% of faculty are engaged in research at an internationally recognized level,
- The university is ranked in the top 10 for the quality of its Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, and Civil Engineering programs,
- New campus with innovative equipment, opened in 2021,
- 90% of graduates continue their studies or find employment almost immediately after graduation,
- Many opportunities to finance your studies and living expenses.
Facilities and equipment at Heriot-Watt University Dubai
The new permanent campus of Dubai Knowledge Park opened in 2021. The learning area is designed to give students the best possible experience and knowledge in a digital learning environment. Students can utilize the entire infrastructure of the university:
- Special Learning Spaces,
- Math classrooms,
- Student Recreation Center where clubs and community meetings are held,
- A business incubator for ideas and projects,
- A library with a wide range of specialized and thematic literature and digital resources,
- A high-tech center of robotics and artificial intelligence for team and individual work on projects,
- A recording studio for creating materials and interactive learning.
Admission dates and extra charges
The school year runs from September to mid-summer. Classes run from Monday to Friday, excluding national and international holidays and vacations.
A rough list of additional costs:
- Accommodation and meals,
- Transportation costs: public transportation, transfers,
- Health insurance,
- Examination fees,
- Registration fees and housing deposits.
The procedure for registering new students consists of going through several stages:
- Submission of the application: filling out an online form, paying registration fees and submitting documents,
- Receiving a positive response from the admissions committee with further instructions,
- Applying for a student visa, booking accommodation in Dubai and applying for funding,
- Arrival on campus for possible entrance examinations,
- Filling out the latest academic forms and starting training.
Graduates of Heriot-Watt University have ample job opportunities, are in demand by the best organizations around the world - more than 90% of them get a job or continue their studies within six months after the end of the program. The number of graduates is more than 140,000 specialists in 190 countries.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
All documents are strongly recommended to submit 6-10 months before the start of the semester.
To enroll in undergraduate and graduate programs, you must:
IELTS / TOEFL Examination Certificate:
In addition, you must provide for graduate and doctoral studies:
Scholarships Heriot-Watt University Dubai
The university provides material support to students. Scholarship and financial assistance options:
- Discount on program in the amount of $ 1000-1500. To get it, you need to apply for a discount and pay 10% of the total cost of study.
- Discount for a one-time payment of tuition in the amount of 3% of the cost of each academic year.
- Corporate discount for groups of students from 5 to 10%.
- Scholarship, which covers 10% of the cost of study (for students who have decided to continue their studies at the university)
- $ 1000 scholarship for two or more related students
- Scholarship for excellent academic performance in the amount of 80% of the total cost of education or covering the cost of one year of study.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Heriot-Watt University Dubai
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.