Buckinghamshire New University (BNU)
Description of Buckinghamshire New University (BNU)
- Year of foundation: 1891
- Location: Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
- Age of students: 18+.
The State University of Buckinghamshire, with campuses in High Wycombe, Aylesbury, Oxbridge and Grade Missenden, was founded in 1891 as the School of Science and The Arts. In 1920, an educational center for soldiers and sailors of the First World War, called the Chepping-Vicombe Technical Institute and the School of Arts, was opened on the site of the school. In 1963, it opened in a new location as the College of Continuing Education. In 1975, the college was merged with the Newland Park College of Education to form Buckingham College of Continuing Education. In 1995 it received the status of independent, at the same time missenden Abbey, an Augustinian monastery of the XII century, was acquired. From 1999 to 2007 it was a university college, then Buckinghamshire New University. A nursing school opens in 2009 in Oxbridge, West London, in 2015 the Aylesbury campus and in 2020 Pinewood.
Faculties and colleges
Structurally, it includes seven academic schools:
- art, design and performance,
- aviation and security,
- business and law,
- creative and digital technologies,
- medical and social professions,
- humanities and social sciences,
- nursing and midwifery.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Buckinghamshire New University (BNU)
Accommodation, meals, prices
Modern campuses are located in four busy towns a short distance from London, with excellent connections to the capital, Oxford and other British cities, international airports.
- Hi-Vicombe Campus
The main campus, where, along with classrooms and workshops for artists and designers, aviation simulators, recording studios, a film and television studio, a variety of sports halls, a library, cafeterias, a bookstore of educational literature are located.
- Oxbridge Campus
Basic campus for courses in nursing, medicine, related health issues. There is also a medical library, a cafeteria, eduaction operating rooms and a large hall for 600 seats.
- Aylesbury Campus
Auxiliary campus for many schools, basic for economists, lawyers, business programs; also here they are engaged in student programs, there are workshops and a student theater.
- Educational base based on Pinewood Studios
Pinewood's educational base is equipped with an animation and visual effects laboratory, television, recording and media studios.
- Missenden Abbey
A conference hall in the former abbey serves as a venue for many seminar classes; there are services, classes of the choir, brass band, organ playing.
Activities Buckinghamshire New University (BNU)
Along with the academic and rich sports program, students can realize themselves in dozens of clubs, amateur communities of various orientations - musical, artistic, dramatic and performing, social, socio-political.
It is important to emphasize that BNU is one of the 33 universities accredited by the TASS program - the Scholarship Scheme for Talented Athletes, which provides financial support to successful athletes, as well as a partner of the BRITISH Super League Academy (in partnership with reading Women's Football Club). The women's and men's football teams educates with the Reading Rockets Club, and the university's swimming pool is accredited by the National Swimming Center.
- More than 300 courses of various levels, orientation and cost;
- Modern and diverse sports infrastructure;
- Good location in a modern and progressive city with a large number of available vacancies in various fields;
- Included in the top ten in the field of international education (Whatuni Student Choice Awards-2022)
- Has close ties with many employers, trusts, a recording studio and the Sennheiser production association;
- Rich experience of teachers who give practical skills;
- An active and professional support and employment team that assists at all stages of admission and job search, from resumes to interview tips and one-on-one mentoring;
- A wide range of individual activities to enrich the university experience.
Facilities and equipment at Buckinghamshire New University (BNU)
Numerous facilities are available to students, including:
- Gates Gym, equipped with the latest technology and open for students 7 days a week. Students can use the services of consultants for fitness and strength exercises;
- Two libraries — one on the High Wycombe campus and the other on the Uxbridge campus — offer access to a wide selection of specialized and interdisciplinary literature on various fields of knowledge, binders of more than 200 journals, dozens of subscription full-text resources;
- In 4 campuses there are several dozen locations that allow you to eat or have a snack, drink coffee in front of couples or pass the time with friends and a book;
- Membership in the Gateway Gym gives you access to a variety of sporting events: basketball, badminton, martial arts, table tennis, futsal and netball.
As a rule, it begins with an Open Day. Having chosen the necessary course and having decided on finances, possible scholarship programs and other available forms of support, the applicant should fill out an application on the official website.
An important stage is a personal statement and a motivation letter, which are important to pay close attention to. The Admissions Committee considers applications received in full until January 25 inclusive (if there are free places, it is possible to consider applications submitted after the specified period).
After reviewing the application for eligibility for admission to the selected course, the university may request additional documents by e-mail, after which it will make a final decision. Applicants can:
- Invite for an interview (it is necessary to confirm the appearance or request an invitation for another date);
- Send a conditional offer;
- Send an unconditional offer (subject to compliance with all requirements and criteria through exams, portfolio or interview);
- Reject the application with the indication of the reason.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Buckinghamshire New University accepts applications from students from all over the world. Typically, the minimum entry score for UCAS Tariff bachelor's degree programs ranges between 88–128 points (depending on the course).
Applicants to postgraduate programs need a degree or equivalent experience.
Candidates who do not meet the minimum requirements can consider a Foundation for themselves (in this case, it is necessary to score 32-56 UCAS points and a minimum of IELTS 5.5 in all areas). The results of the English language exams are valid for 2 years for undergraduate and 5 years for postgraduate programs.
A number of programs, including nursing, midwifery, social work, and law, may have additional facilities, written entrance exams, and other tests.
Scholarships Buckinghamshire New University (BNU)
Foreign students have access to the Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship – a one-time payment for all expats in the first year of study.
To obtain it is necessary to meet a number of criteria:
- Applicants must be self-funded;
- The curriculum must be level 4 or higher;
- The duration of the course is at least a year;
- Tuition fees must be at least £12,500.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Buckinghamshire New University (BNU)
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.