Basil Paterson Middle School
Description of Basil Paterson Middle School
- Year of foundation: 1929
- Location: United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
- Students age: 14–18
- Number of students: 100+
- Language of instruction: English
- Type: school of co-education.
Basil Paterson is an independent co-educational school for boys and girls, founded in 1929 and accredited by the British Council. Open to students 14-16 years old (the college accepts teenagers from 16 years and older).
The school provides its pets with safety and a supportive environment, which allows them to prepare for the first and most important exams in their lives. Teachers and administrators believe it is important that children enjoy learning, are happy and proud that their alma mater allows them to achieve so much. Here they understand that all children are different, often need individual conditions - and strive to provide these opportunities at the expense of compact classes, a close-knit team and high professionalism of employees. This makes it possible to take into account the needs of all students, regardless of learning abilities and the quality of the available education.
Senior College is an alternative to school that is designed to help children reach their full potential. This is facilitated by compact classrooms, individual curricula and an atmosphere of deep mutual understanding and cooperation established between students and teachers.
The key to success in training should be considered not only the perfection of the academic program and the high class of teachers, but also educational work, which is an integral part of training. Teachers, psychologists and other staff of the school pride themselves on truly understanding the needs of students. The institution always has a teacher on duty, ready to listen, support, help find a way out of the seemingly most hopeless situation, offer advice.
The school professes the principles of openness and friendliness, creating an atmosphere of mutual respect and instilling in children respect for themselves.
In classes, as a rule, no more than 8 children study, which ensures a high level of individualization and personification of the program, allowing to meet the special educational needs of all without exception.
For schoolchildren for whom English is not their native language, a support department has been created and successfully operates, conducting intensive and diverse classes that allow them to catch up with the missing level.
All schoolchildren attend vocational guidance classes under the guidance of the best specialists. Their task is not just to find free places and popular vacancies, but to serve as a source of motivation and inspiration so that teenagers independently make the final decision. Regular seminars are held to develop professional skills, children are taught the art of interviewing, and there is a practical training program.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Basil Paterson Middle School
Accommodation, meals, prices
The school does not provide a hostel: children come here at the beginning of classes and leave after lessons and electives. If necessary, you can request a list of accredited or recommended tenants from the administration, consider the option of guest families.
Activities Basil Paterson Middle School
Teachers of the school and attracted outsourcing specialists regularly conduct excursions for students, outdoor lessons in the fresh air, short one-day and two-day hikes along the tourist trails of South Scotland and Northumberland.
The main advantages include:
- Compact classes. The small size of student groups is at the heart of the local approach to teaching and learning. The school is convinced that this has a positive effect on students both in terms of academic achievements and in terms of involvement, education of responsible citizens with an active life position.
- Individual approach to training is an advantage that directly follows from the previous one; small classroom groups allow educators to offer students and their parents de facto individualized curricula designed and adjusted to meet the individual needs and strengths of the student.
- Modern and meeting all the requirements of the XXI century, but a strict curriculum that combines the traditional approach and modern solutions, which in total gives students a broad and comprehensive secondary education, equipping both with academic knowledge and the necessary basic skills that are useful in life, communication, study.
- The great influence of the community is another key to success. As in many other private schools in the UK, there is a lot of attention paid to the student community. All teachers and staff know their pets well, which ensures the proper level of academic support and personal development of students throughout the training, as well as after graduation.
Facilities and equipment at Basil Paterson Middle School
The school is located in a quiet and safe area of the capital of Scotland, the ancient city of Edinburgh, the second largest in this part of the United Kingdom. The capital is located on three picturesque hills near the Leith River and the rock ridge of Arthur's Throne, in the middle cut by a deep and ravine, which once was a lake.
These places are characterized by a mild maritime climate: summers are cool, and winters are relatively warm, which makes Edinburgh an excellent place to live and study.
This metropolis has been a recognized center of international education in Europe since the High Middle Ages, when Scotland became one of the centers of the Reformation. Along with dozens of schools, one of the oldest European universities opened its doors here, occupying high lines in most international rankings. In addition, due to the efficient use of subsoil, the presence of several large trading harbors and a relatively good industry, Scotland can be considered one of the most prosperous parts of the country in the economic dimension.
Finally, this region has a rich cultural material and intangible heritage, glorified in music, literature, reflected in modern cinema. Walking through the streets of Edinburgh, visiting its countless sights with excursions, schoolchildren will join one of the oldest and most original cultures of Europe, learn a lot of new things, find friends from all over the world.
Classrooms at the school are equipped with the latest technology and can offer students broadband Internet access, modern and powerful personal computers, projection equipment and interactive whiteboards.
The school's library has more than 4 thousand volumes and is equipped with wireless Internet access, a small cafeteria area, comfortable soft chairs and sofas, which makes it not only a learning space, but also a leisure and recreation area.
Admission dates and extra charges
Each student studies 6 SQA National 4 subjects in S3 and then works on the national five subjects in S4.
Classes run from 09:00 to 16:00 from Monday to Thursday and from 09:00 to 14:00 on Friday. Student clubs are open on Fridays from 14:00.
Payment is made in advance at the beginning of each semester, it is possible to make payments on a monthly basis.
According to statistics, 56% of graduates graduate from school with the highest score, 78% enter the Top 100 best universities in the world.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
All applicants are treated equally, regardless of skin colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sex, religious belief, disability, orientation or socio-economic group. The criteria for admission are simple and unambiguous:
- the student must be mature enough and reach the minimum age;
- parents must pay tuition fees in a timely manner and in full (by agreement with the administration, payment is possible in several installments);
- expats from countries where the official language is not English must show that they speak English at a sufficient level to master the educational program.
Scholarships Basil Paterson Middle School
Basil Paterson High School offers financial aid in the form of scholarships for needy students. The right to participate in the scholarship program is acquired by schoolchildren whose families have a gross total income of less than 55 thousand pounds annually.
In order to receive a scholarship, it is necessary to send a letter to the e-mail or contact the school administration in another way; before deciding on a scholarship, applicants will have to go through an evaluation procedure. The scholarship is granted for a period of one year; students can apply for a scholarship two years in a row, but applications are submitted for the academic year.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Basil Paterson Middle School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.