A + World Academy (boarding on a sailing ship)
Description of A + World Academy (boarding on a sailing ship)
- Location: Norway
- Age of students: from 16 to 19 years
- Type of studying: mixed
- Type of accommodation: full board
- Language learning: English.
A + World Academy is a unique international school, which is located on a sailing ship! 62 high school students have the opportunity to combine their studies under the Advanced Placement program with walking on one of the oldest sailing ships in the world and visiting more than twenty port cities around the globe. Here, students not only improve their academic knowledge, but daily expand their capabilities in the intellectual, social, physical, and cultural spheres.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in A + World Academy (boarding on a sailing ship)
Accommodation, meals, prices
Features of placement in the school A + World Academy:
- Permanent residence on the ship
- Accommodation and full board included in the cost of educational programs
- Cabins of boys and girls are on different sides of the vessel
- Cabins carry out 2 functions - a berth and educational classrooms
- Students must keep a daily watch.
Activities A + World Academy (boarding on a sailing ship)
All activities and excursions that are organized by A + World Academy are included in the curriculum price. Port cities visited during sailing:
- Chicago (USA)
- Ann Arbor (USA)
- Dallas (US)
- Austin (USA)
- Charlotte (USA)
- Chattanooga (US)
- Seattle (USA)
- Resif (Brazil)
- Washington (United States)
- Fort lauderdale
- Atlanta (USA)
- Portland (USA)
- California (USA)
- Nassau (Bahamas)
- Hong Kong (China)
- Istanbul, Turkey)
- Miami (US)
- New York, USA)
- Boston (US)
- London, Great Britain)
- St. George (Bermuda)
- Scheveningen (Holland)
- Azores (Portugal)
- Kristiansand (Norway).
- Accreditation of the BSA Boarding School Association and the Northern Network of NNIS International Schools
- Member of the New England Association of Independent Schools AISNE
- Accommodation on the sailboat “ Sørlandet ” - the ninety-year-old Norwegian ship with a long tradition of teaching students during the voyage (a total of more than 10,000 students)
- “ Sørlandet ” - the ship, on board of which a woman was first studied, the AP program was completed for the first time, and the circumnavigation of the circus around the world (2017) was completed for the first time
- Exercise, quick decision making, self-study, leadership skills.
- There is always a team of professional sailors on board.
- The educational system of the American type.
Facilities and equipment at A + World Academy (boarding on a sailing ship)
Safety on the ship:
- The ship is equipped with the most modern means of communication for continuous communication with the shore
- High school students can communicate with their parents only in the ports (there is no Internet during the voyage)
- Regular media coordinator reports for parents on Instagram and Facebook
- A certificate confirming the highest level of safety of the ship " Sørlandet ".
Admission dates and extra charges
The minimum duration of schooling is one year. On the ship, students stay for 200 days, from August to June.
Tuition fee already includes:
- Registration fee
- Maritime studying
- Field research experience
- Laboratory works.
Payment is carried out in 3 stages:
- 10% - for 14 days from the date of enrollment
- 50% - until the first of May
- The remaining amount is until the first of August.
It is also important to consider additional costs:
- Sailing equipment
- Transportation, meals, accommodation in hotels "parent" ports (in two cities, parents can visit high school students)
- Expenses for shopping and food in port cities.
- Uniform 100 EUR
- Registration fee (for a programme/course) 150 EUR
- Medical insurance 600 EUR
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
The following documents are required for admission to the A + World Academy Marine Boarding School:
- Application form
- Passport copy
- Excerpts from the school report for the last 2 years
- 2 academic letters of recommendation (confidentiality guaranteed)
- Personally written short essay on a topic of global importance (about 300 words)
- Additional school information that can help you to better understand the character and skills of a high school student.
Additionally, you need to have an interview via Skype in English.
Applications are considered within five working days, the answer is sent by e-mail.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about A + World Academy (boarding on a sailing ship)
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.