Description of Vilnius University
- Year of foundation: 1579;
- Location: Vilnius, Lithuania;
- Students age: from 18 years;
- Number of students: 19,996 people;
- Language of instruction: Lithuanian, English, Russian;
- Type of study: public research university.
Vilnius University, one of the oldest and most famous higher education institutions in Central and Eastern Europe, was founded in 1579. For a long time, being the only higher educational institution in Lithuania, the university exerted a great influence not only on the cultural life of Lithuania, but also on neighboring countries, educating more than one generation of scientists, poets, and cultural figures. For more than 400 years, Vilnius University has experienced a rise, fall, revival, and closure. The history of the university is rich and contradictory, inseparable from the history of the Lithuanian state, reflecting all its dramatic stages.
About 20 thousand students study at Vilnius University. According to the QS World University Ranking, the university is included in the ranking of the best universities in the world, teaches the most talented, best students in the country and abroad.
Summer courses are designed to meet different needs and offer educational programs in Lithuanian, legal, Asian languages. Some courses, such as Yiddish, Lithuanian literature, 10-day course on the key features of Lithuanian domestic / foreign policy may be interesting for students with different levels of education.
The duration of the courses varies from 1 to 4 weeks: they are intended for both students and those who have left the university long ago, but still want to study.
Most of the courses are held on the old campus of Vilnius University, allowing students to enjoy medieval courtyards and get an idea of the life of Vilnius Old Town in between lectures and seminars.
Full list of courses:
- Two-week Lithuanian language courses;
- Four-week Lithuanian language courses;
- European Summer Law School.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Vilnius University
Accommodation, meals, prices
Living in a hostel is an invaluable experience, therefore the university invites all applicants to stay in one of the hostels of Vilnius University.
Students pay an advance payment for accommodation.
List of accommodation options:
- Single room;
- Double room;
- Double room for single use;
- Triple room for three people;
- Triple room for two.
Kaunas Faculty of Vilnius University provides an opportunity for students to live in the hostels of Vytautas the Great University.
The big advantage of the VU Šiauliai Academy hostel is that it is located close to educational buildings and the central part of the city.
VU Šiauliai Academy placement options:
- Single room for single use;
- Double room for single use;
- Double room for two;
- Triple room for single use;
- Triple room for two;
- Triple room for three people.
Activities Vilnius University
The university calendar marks the holidays that have become a tradition of Vilnius University:
- Renovatio Studiorum - on the first day of autumn, the celebration of the start of the new academic year traditionally unites the wealthy community of Vilnius University.
- The birthday of the university is an opportunity to study the history of the country. The birthday is celebrated on April 1, when the King of Poland and the Grand Duke of Lithuania Stefan Batory issued a privileged letter for the opening of the Vilnius Academy.
- Honorary Doctor award ceremony honoris causa.
- Rector's inauguration ceremony.
Student organizations of Vilnius University:
- Vilnius University Student Representation (VU SA);
- International student organization AIESEC;
- European Student Law Association ELSA;
- Department of Young Lawyers of the Lithuanian Bar Association (LLC);
- Lithuanian Association of History Students;
- Lithuanian Psychology Students Association LiPSA;
- Vilnius University Legal Clinic;
- Vilnius University TSPMI Student Corporation RePublica;
- Vilnius University History Students' Corporation "Tilia";
- Vilnius University Student Investment Fund;
- LGBT + University group;
- Student Scientific Society.
- Vilnius University offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs. The university offers comprehensive research, which includes teaching of the first and second cycles, parallel, mixed educational programs, professional, non-formal education.
- Vilnius University conducts fundamental and applied research in all fields of science. The focus is on priority areas: mathematical methods and models, the development of information technologies, new functional materials and technologies, biomedical profiles, psychological cognition of a person and the development of treatment methods, research of biomolecules, cells for medicine, biotechnology, dynamics, protection, use of the natural environment.
- This research is carried out at the university by about 1850 teachers and researchers, of which almost 75% have an academic degree and / or teaching title, have earned national, international recognition.
- Today, the university implements a professional training program for school pedagogy, upon completion of which the professional qualification of a teacher is awarded.
- Residency in medicine, dentistry is considered professional education.
Facilities and equipment at Vilnius University
- The Health and Sports Center deals with sports and a healthy lifestyle at Vilnius University.
- Vilnius University Botanical Garden was founded in 1781, it is located in two former estates (Kairėnai and Vingis Park).
- Garden in Vingis Park - a branch of the Vilnius University Botanical Garden collects and grows over 1200 species of plants from all geographic regions of the world.
- The Vilnius University Planetarium is the only specialized information center for astronomy and natural sciences in Lithuania. The Vilnius Planetarium was founded in 1962.
- The Astronomical Observatory of Vilnius University is located in Molėtai region, 70 km north of Vilnius, on the Kaldiniai hill (200 m above sea level), near the small village of Kulioniai.
Admission dates and extra charges
Registration fee for educational programs in English and Russian (non-refundable) is paid additionally to tuition fee.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
- Applications for educational program at the main stage of admission to higher education institutions (submitted online in the LAMA BPO information system).
- Passport or ID.
- Certificate of maturity, annex to it or other document (s) on secondary education.
- Certificate of the Vilnius University of passing the test in the Lithuanian language (if the training will be conducted in the Lithuanian language).
- Additional documents confirming professional or higher education, notarized copies.
- If a participant takes I-III places at international and national Olympiads or competitions, supporting documents are submitted, giving the right to receive additional points.
If the document is presented in English or Russian, it must be translated by a certified translator.
Scholarships Vilnius University
- Honorable Mention - A monthly stipend for particularly good learning outcomes; awarded during the new semester based on the results of the last semester of study.
- One-time social scholarship - a scholarship awarded in the event of a difficult financial situation, accidents, death of a relative, natural disaster. Students can apply and the required documents to eStudent at any time during their studies.
- One-time targeted scholarship - a scholarship paid once a semester to students who, during their studies, are actively involved in cultural, sports, scientific or social activities, have achieved good results. Students can apply and the required documents to eStudent.
- Personal scholarship for special achievements or merit in scientific and other activities. Scholarships are awarded by various organizations.
- Monthly social stipend.
- The 450th Anniversary Scholarship is a special scholarship established by Vilnius University, awarded to the 100 most talented students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Vilnius University
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.