St. Petersburg State University of Communications of Emperor Alexander I, PGUPS
Description of St. Petersburg State University of Communications of Emperor Alexander I, PGUPS
- Location: St. Petersburg, Russia;
- Age of students: 17+;
- Type: mixed;
- Language of instruction: Russian.
St. Petersburg State University of Railway Engineering is the first higher transport educational institution in Russia. Founded in 1809 by the manifesto of Emperor Alexander I. For two centuries, the university has been one of the major scientific and educational centers where engineers, logisticians, economists, managers, builders for the transport system are eduacted.
Today, more than 19,000 students study at PSUPS, its colleges and branches (18), almost 11,000 of them in higher education programs. Applicants choosing an educational institution can obtain a bachelor's, specialist's, master's, postgraduate degree.
Students have the opportunity to practice at the largest enterprises of the industry and abroad.
Faculties and colleges
- Automation and intelligent technologies;
- Transport construction;
- Transport and energy systems;
- Transportation management and logistics;
- Industrial and civil construction;
- Economics and Management;
- Non-discontinuous forms of education;
- Pre-university eduaction.
Colleges and technical schools:
- Velikoluksky College of Railway Transport named after K.S. Zaslonov;
- Vologda Technical School of Railway Transport;
- Kursk Railway Technical School;
- Ozherelyevo Railway College;
- Petrozavodsk College of Railway Transport;
- Roslavl Railway Technical School;
- St. Petersburg Medical College;
- St. Petersburg Technical School of Railway Transport;
- Uzlovsky Railway Technical School;
- Ukhta Technical School of Railway Transport.
Currently, the University has formed a detailed structure of the research complex:
- research institutes;
- research and innovation centers;
- research laboratories.
Employees of PGUPS annually receive 60 protection documents for inventions and utility models. The departments of the university conduct scientific research within the framework of federal, departmental scientific programs, grants, economic contracts
Programs and prices, tuition fees in St. Petersburg State University of Communications of Emperor Alexander I, PGUPS
Accommodation, meals, prices
All nonresident students are provided with a dormitory. The capacity is 3600 people. There are:
- at thecheb rooms;
- places for creativity and sports;
- luggage storage;
- student cafes;
- outdoor sports grounds.
The dormitories have high-speed internet access . The rooms are renovated and equipped with the necessary furniture. In the living room no more than 3 people. All dormitories are equipped with a video surveillance system and are guarded around the clock by the security service.
Activities St. Petersburg State University of Communications of Emperor Alexander I, PGUPS
PGUPS owns the House of Physical Culture, which is the center of sports and mass work with students and staff of the University. The House of Sports hosts faculty competitions, classes in 30 sports, fitness, championships of universities of St. Petersburg and universities of the Federal Agency for Railway Transport. The Student Sports Club "Northern Sapsan" holds events, highlights competitions, successes of national teams and popularizes sports.
Much attention in PGUPS is paid to student leisure. Student detachments work here, the volunteer movement is developing, dance, choral and art studios have been opened, there is KVN.
For the adaptation of students of the 1st and 2nd courses, such events are held as:
- Tourist gatherings of students;
- Sports and historical game "Secrets of the Yusupov Garden";
- "Treasures of the Yusupov family";
- "All to the rink" – a group visit to the rink;
- Faculty Day;
- Faculty activities for freshmen.
Facilities and equipment at St. Petersburg State University of Communications of Emperor Alexander I, PGUPS
The infrastructure of the University includes:
- 9 testing centers and scientific circles;
- modern classrooms and laboratories;
- 2 innovative enterprises;
- geological and geodetic base;
- the oldest library in Russia (with a fund of 1 million books);
- 10 dormitories;
- sports complex and swimming pool;
- theatre and concert halls;
- video studio;
- medical center.
Admission dates and extra charges
The school year begins on September 1.
Minimum number of points:
- Mathematics — 36;
- Russian language — 36;
- Social Studies, 42;
- Biology, 36;
- Physics —36;
- Informatics and ICT — 44.
More than 19 thousand students study at PGUPS, its colleges and branches. 52.1% of students study on the budget, 47.9% - for a fee. Almost 20% of applicants enter the university according to the target quota.
After completing the eduaction, students have the opportunity to start scientific activities or find an interesting job. Due to the close ties of the university with employers, students of PSUPS often find a job even before graduation. More than 90% of graduates are employed in the first year after graduation. In some specialties, the employment rate reaches 100%.
In 2015, the Corps of Graduates was formed, whose work is aimed at:
- creation of conditions for improving the efficiency of realizing the professional and intellectual potential of university graduates;
- establishment of cultural, scientific and business ties between graduates of different years,
- assistance in the development of the University as a center of education, science, culture.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Documents for admission can be submitted remotely through the services of PGUPS or by mail.
When applying for admission, provide:
- identity document(s), citizenship;
- document on education;
- a document confirming registration in the system of individual (personified) accounting (if any);
- for the use of the right to admission without entrance examinations, a document confirming that the applicant has a special right (advantage);
- documents confirming the individual achievements of the applicant, the results of which are taken into account when applying for eduaction;
Scholarships St. Petersburg State University of Communications of Emperor Alexander I, PGUPS
Students studying free of charge can receive a scholarship, the amount of which is affected by academic performance:
- State Academic Scholarship;
- State social scholarship;
- Increased state academic scholarship for special achievements by type of activity;
- Increased state social scholarship is assigned to students in the 1st and 2nd years who passed the session for "good" and "excellent";
- Scholarship of the Government of the Russian Federation.
Russian Railways scholarships:
- Scholarship for the names of outstanding railway workers;
- Scholarship of the General Director – Chairman of the Board of JSC "Russian Railways".
Needy students can count on one-time financial assistance.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about St. Petersburg State University of Communications of Emperor Alexander I, PGUPS
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.