Russian State Hydrometeorological University, RSMU
Description of Russian State Hydrometeorological University, RSMU
- Location: St. Petersburg, Russia;
- Age of students: 15+;
- Type: mixed;
- Language of instruction: Russian.
The University was established on July 23, 1930 as the Moscow Hydrometeorological Institute.
The organization of the educational process at the university is regulated by curricula, calendar curricula, work programs of disciplines, practice programs, programs of state final certification, schedules of classes and intermediate certifications.
Faculties and colleges
RsMU has 3 institutes and 4 faculties:
- Institute of Information Systems and Geotechnologies;
- Polar Academy Institute;
- Institute of Hydrology and Oceanology;
- Faculty of Meteorology;
- Faculty of Ecology;
- Faculty of Hydrometeorological Support of Economic and Managerial Activities in Industries and Complexes;
- Faculty of Maritime and Polar Law.
The university has 1 branch in Tuapse, Krasnodar Territory and 2 representative offices in Moscow and in Sevastopol of the Republic of Crimea.
Partners of RSMU in scientific developments:
- Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute;
- State Hydrological Institute;
- Main Geophysical Observatory named after A.I. Voeikov;
- State Oceanographic Institute;
- territorial departments of Roshydromet;
- Institute of Lake Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- Marine Hydrophysical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- GGUP "SF" Mineral";
- Gazprom Neft Shelf LLC.
In 2021, 17 student projects were submitted to grant competitions of various levels, 3 of which became winners.
Things to know about
WGMU has been a component of the World Meteorological Organization's Regional Meteorological Training Centre in the Russian Federation since 1995.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Russian State Hydrometeorological University, RSMU
Accommodation, meals, prices
The university has 5 dormitories for 2236 people. Every year, planned material and technical re-equipment is carried out. All dormitories are equipped with an access control system with video cameras, Internet access is organized.
The university has three canteens in the academic buildings and one in the student hostel No. 4, the work of the summer canteen is organized at the bases of practices.
Activities Russian State Hydrometeorological University, RSMU
The following people work at the university on a permanent basis:
- student councils of institutes, faculties and dormitories;
- a single volunteer center that unites three areas of the volunteer movement:
- Patriotic Center;
- social volunteer association "ZOV";
- Ecological Volunteer Center "Green Century";
- student sports club "Elements";
- cultural and leisure club "BRAVO";
- student pedagogical team "Sea";
- student construction team "Rock";
- intellectual club "Port".
RSMU students annually participate in public intra-university, district and citywide events:
- environmental actions;
- environmental master classes;
- citywide subbotniks;
- competitions and festivals;
- sports competitions and Spartakiads.
Trainees and workers help in cleaning the waters of the Neva and the Gulf of Finland.
RSMU has a student media studio, publishes a student newspaper "Boreal Zone", a university-wide publication "Vestnik Gidrometa".
Creative studios and clubs:
- dance studio;
- Tornado cheerleading team;
- northern dance ensemble "Eygunychvyn";
- RSMU Choir;
- theatre workshop;
- a group of theatre lovers "Teatralny Gidromet".
University students are provided with discounted tickets to theater and concert venues in St. Petersburg.
Regularly in summer, a health trip is organized for the best students of RSMU on the Black Sea coast.
Sports sections by:
- table tennis;
- hand-to-hand combat;
- water polo;
- sports tourism;
On the basis of RSMU there are fan clubs of football and basketball clubs "Zenit", hockey club "SKA".
Every year, employees and students of the university go on expeditions.
Facilities and equipment at Russian State Hydrometeorological University, RSMU
The total area of the university buildings is 57429 square meters: these are educational and laboratory buildings, indoor sports facilities, research units.
For classes in the military training center, classrooms are equipped in all modules of disciplines:
- general military training;
- tactical and special training;
- military-special training.
To conduct group and practical classes, trainings on radiation, chemical and biological protection, two field classes (army tents) are deployed in the warm season. Since 2018, a training electronic shooting simulator has been put into operation. The drill site, used for drill training, constructions, is equipped with stands and mirrors.
In the classrooms are installed:
- 10 workplaces ARM-VGM-M;
- equipment for receiving satellite information Plot-MC and Plot-MB;
- models of technical means of measuring wind parameters, temperature, humidity, height of the lower boundary of clouds, visibility range;
In the educational process, special technical means of the meteorological service are used:
- point of reception and processing of meteorological information "Plot-MC";
- point of reception and processing of meteorological information "Plot-MB";
- 2 mobile meteorological stations.
In the hostel No. 1 there is a medical office, in the educational buildings and dormitories there are gyms and sports halls. Thereis a security service.
The University has its own training base of practice in the village of Daimishche of the Gatchina district of the Leningrad region, an educational and scientific station (ONS) on the island of Valaam. The base of practices and the ONS are equipped with the necessary computing and measuring equipment. During the practices, accommodation is organized at the base and ons, there is a medical center and a canteen.
Admission dates and extra charges
The educational process at the university is organized by periods:
- academic years;
Additional expenses of RSMU students include fees for accommodation in dormitories (for non-residents), meals, leisure and other expenses.
When applying for admission, the applicant submits:
- Passport or passport;
- Certificate and/or diploma;
- SNILS (if any);
- documents confirming special rights and/or individual achievements;
- two photos.
The documents required for admission are submitted in person or sent by mail / in electronic form through the electronic information system of the RSMU or through the EPGU.
Every year more than 4000 people study at the university.
The most important strategic partners of RSMU are Roshydromet and its territorial departments. Specialized partner organizations for the practice and employment of graduates:
- Department of Rosprirodnadzor for the Northwestern Federal District;
- JSC Concern Rosenergoatom (Leningrad NPP);
- PJSC "Sberbank";
- Federal State Budgetary Institution "All-Russian Research Institute of Agricultural Meteorology";
- Federal Tax Service;
- Border Department of the FSB of Russia for St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region;
- Federal Penitentiary Service of Russia;
- Russian Museum;
- JSC "PII Tyumen-dorproekt";
- CJSC "FDI Altai-vodproekt";
- Gazprom Engineering LLC;
- JSC "Mosoblgidroproekt";
- CJSC "AmurTISIz";
- LLC "Neurocycling";
- PhosAgro KF Apatit JSC (Avalanche Safety Department);
- SamaraNIPINeft LLC;
- Transneft-Podvodservice JSC;
- CJSC "Kanonersky Ship Repair Plant";
- LLC "Nizhegorodstroy-research";
- LLC "Nevskaya Energetika";
- TechnoTerra LLC and other commercial organizations of St. Petersburg, leningrad region and other subjects of Russia.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
For admission to the areas of higher education:
- age from 17 years;
- completed education not lower than secondary complete general.
The minimum number of points on the unified state exam:
- Mathematics – 39;
- Russian language – 40;
- Physics – 39;
- Literature – 40;
- Foreign language (English, French) – 30;
- Informatics and ICT – 44;
- Chemistry – 39;
- Biology – 39;
- Geography – 40;
- Social Studies – 45;
- History – 35.
Scholarships Russian State Hydrometeorological University, RSMU
- state academic scholarship;
- state social scholarship;
- scholarships of the President of the Russian Federation and the Government of the Russian Federation;
- scholarships to students, assigned by legal entities or individuals, including those who sent them to study;
- additional scholarship for citizens undergoing training at the military department.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Russian State Hydrometeorological University, RSMU
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.