Russian Orthodox University of St. John the Theologian, RPU of St. John the Theologian
Description of Russian Orthodox University of St. John the Theologian, RPU of St. John the Theologian
- Location: Moscow, Russia;
- Age of students: 17+;
- Type: mixed;
- Language of instruction: Russian.
The University was established in 1992 with the blessing of Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia, registered in 1993. RPU was conceived as an educational and research platform for training specialists in various fields of knowledge rooted in the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church, the main mission of which is to create a stable and socially active layer of society consisting of people with a high level of spiritual, secular, business culture and ethics.
The university began its activity in the monastery, for several years it took place in the Zaikonospasskaya and Vysoko-Petrovsky monasteries of Moscow.
The founders of the university are the Synodal Department of Religious Education and Catechesis of the Russian Orthodox Church and the educational organization of higher education "Russian Orthodox University".
The organization of the educational process at the university is regulated by curricula, calendar educational schedules and the schedule of training sessions for each form of education, which are developed by the university independently on the basis of federal state educational standards of the appropriate level.
Faculties and colleges
The structure of the university includes 3 faculties and 10 departments:
- Faculty of Philosophy and Theology, which includes the Department of Theology and Religious Studies;
- Faculty of Psychology, including the Department of General and Applied Psychology;
- Pre-university training center;
- Social and Humanitarian Faculty, which includes the following departments:
- civil law and process;
- criminal law and procedure;
- theory and history of state and law;
- constitutional and international law;
- biblical history and ancient law;
- social work and protection of the rights of the population;
- philology and journalism;
- Department of Basic Disciplines.
The Moscow Scientific School of Christian Psychology operates as part of the university, which has played and continues to play a key role in the revival, formation and development of Christian psychology in Russia. She formulated provisions constituting Christian psychology as a special direction of Russian psychological science.
The second scientific school operating as part of the university is the scientific school of "Transcendental Philosophy", within the framework of which the Department of Philosophy and Theology has approved a generaldepartmental topic of research work - "The Problem of Man in Philosophy and Theology", on which the leading employees of the department are working.
Within the framework of the above schools, regular scientific events (seminars and conferences) are held with the participation of students and teachers of the university, preparations for the defense of graduation papers are carried out.
Things to know about
At the origins of the university were representatives of Russian science from the Lomonosov Moscow State University, the Moscow Theological Academy, as well as church hierarchs, including Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad, the current Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Russian Orthodox University of St. John the Theologian, RPU of St. John the Theologian
Activities Russian Orthodox University of St. John the Theologian, RPU of St. John the Theologian
In order to form university traditions, two academic lectures are held at the university during each academic year: Lenten meetings and an Open Educational Lecture Hall at the beginning of the academic year. Extracurricular activities of the university include the following activities:
- Gathering of Freshmen;
- Open University Lecture Hall;
- St. Peter's Day: on this day, the teaching staff and students of RPU take part in a festive divine service in honor of the Feast Day of St. Peter in the Vysoko-Petrovsky Monastery;
- Scientific and excursion student visits to the Vladimir and Yaroslavl regions within the framework of the project "Russian memorial culture as a way of patriotic education and the formation of historical memory";
- Moscow Ethnographic Olympiad "Moscow – the Capital of Multinational Russia";
- Visit to the shelter for homeless animals "Zoorassvet";
- Conduct and participation of RPU students in the celebration of the Day of Remembrance of St. John the Theologian.
The university has a student choir on the basis of the student center "New Square" at the RPU and the musical group RPU VIA "RYBA".
Facilities and equipment at Russian Orthodox University of St. John the Theologian, RPU of St. John the Theologian
Since 1999, the university is located in 4 educational and administrative buildings in a number of administrative districts of Moscow.
The material and technical support of the university includes:
- equipped classrooms and classrooms,
- rooms for practical exercises,
- objects of physical culture and sports,
- classes for independent work: equipped with a PC with the Internet, access to the electronic information and educational environment, including electronic library systems,
- lecture classes,
- rooms for special classes.
The university has 42 PCs with access to the Internet, 16 MFPs.
Medical care for students and employees is carried out on the basis of the License for medical activities issued by the Department of Health of the city of Moscow.
In the main educational buildings of the University, the possibility of unhindered access to applicants with disabilities and (or) disabled persons is provided.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year includes two semesters, each of which ends with an intermediate certification (session). The university establishes holidays with a total duration of no more than 10 weeks, of which at least two weeks fall on the winter period. The academic year at the university for full-time students begins on September 1.
Additional expenses during the period of study may include: accommodation in a hostel (for non-residents), transportation costs, meals, leisure and other expenses.
For admission to the institute, the applicant submits the following documents together with the application:
- identity document, citizenship;
- a document of the established sample on education (one or several);
- a document confirming disability or disabilities requiring the creation of special conditions;
- documents confirming the individual achievements of the applicant or the corresponding special right;
- two photos.
The documents required for admission are submitted to the applicant in one of the following ways:
- by mail;
- in electronic form through the electronic information system of the university "IS Admission Committee";
- using the super service "Admission to the university online" through EPGU.
On average, about 300 students study at the RPU of St. John the Theologian.
To comprehensively support students on employment and career development, a Professional Career Center has been established at the university.
Business partners of the Center for Professional Career of the RPU of St. John the Theologian are the largest Russian and international companies, organizations, enterprises that actively involve students in practices and internships, invite the best graduates to work.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
- Completed secondary general education (11 grades), secondary vocational or higher education;
- Successful completion of entrance tests in the form of testing or oral interview;
- Results of the Unified State Exam;
- Religion - Orthodox Christianity.
Scholarships Russian Orthodox University of St. John the Theologian, RPU of St. John the Theologian
- state academic scholarships;
- state social scholarships;
- increased state academic scholarships;
- Rector's Scholarships;
- increased state social scholarship for students of 1-2 courses.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Russian Orthodox University of St. John the Theologian, RPU of St. John the Theologian
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.