Rathdown Private School
Description of Rathdown Private School
- Location: Dublin, Ireland,
- Students age: 3-18 years old,
- Type of education: joint, but accommodation only for girls,
- Language of instruction: English.
Rathdown School is an independent Irish school that welcomes boys and girls from 3 to 18 years old (boarding accommodation is available for girls from 11 years old). It offers the Irish educational standard Leaving Certificate: these are state exams that crown the course of complete secondary education and prepare graduates for admission to the best universities in the world. The Leaving Certificate is accepted at universities around the world and is highly regarded.
Rathdown School prides itself on its multiculturalism. The maximum diversity of nationalities and cultures is encouraged here, almost 30% of students are foreigners.
Rathdown School teaches a wide range of academic subjects that are supported by an equally wide range of extracurricular activities. Classes in small classes allow you to ensure the individualization of the learning process, consistently reveal the talents and capabilities of each individual student.
This is a whole, full-fledged educational path that educates self-confident, independent, well-ambitious students who are ready to continue the best education and build a fast-paced career.
The school has adopted uniforms from the well-known manufacturer of comfortable and high-quality clothing Uniformity. The form can be purchased offline or online. The kits are different for junior and high school.
Things to know about
The school adheres to the traditions of Protestantism, but does not belong to the category of strictly religious: students of any religion, nationalities and cultures are welcome here.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Rathdown Private School
Accommodation, meals, prices
Accommodation on campus is open to girls over 11 years old (residence for boys in the process of construction). Boarders live in an atmosphere of constant communication and friendship, almost every minute of them is calculated and busy with useful and interesting things. This is a safe and comfortable accommodation that helps not to waste time on the road.
- Hillcourt House is a historic building (XIX century), renovated and modernized for younger schoolgirls. There are rooms for 2-7 people, cozy kitchens and dining rooms, access to telephone, WiFi, computers (PC and Mac), two spacious living rooms with TV for relaxation.
- Innismore House provides accommodation for undergraduate students. This is a modern residence with private bedrooms. For common use, there are kitchens and living rooms with TV, access to fast WiFi, telephone and PC.
Students on flexible boarding can stay on the territory until 22:00, on full board they can stay on weekends. Boarders are provided with a clear and consistent daily routine that fosters independence and responsibility in girls.
- High school girls (Fifth & Sixth Year) are provided with private rooms,
- Younger schoolgirls live in common rooms, with neighbors.
On campus and residences there is always a teacher on duty who monitors the safety and comfort of pupils, provides daily support.
Schoolgirls are provided with a fresh, healthy, complete and balanced diet that fully covers the needs of children and adolescents. The menu is updated every week. Students can bring their own lunches or snacks to school, buy something from local catering establishments - but any kind of nuts are strictly prohibited on campus (as a very allergenic product).
Activities Rathdown Private School
Every week, from Monday to Friday, classes are organized for boarders in numerous clubs, communities, circles, interesting events. These can be sports training and matches (including entertaining options such as trampoline jumping), walks in the surrounding hills and on the sea coast. Due to the proximity to Dublin, students have ample opportunities for urban leisure, visiting museums and galleries, shopping, and sightseeing. It can be both weekend trips, for 1-2 days, and tours for several days to picturesque places throughout Ireland.
Local and international holidays are brightly and widely celebrated at the school, always with elegant dinners:
- Indian festival of Diwali,
- World Heart Day,
- Spanish evening,
- Chinese New Year,
- St. Patrick's Day,
- Valentine's Day,
- Special rations for boarders on weekends.
Extracurricular activities can be directed to a wide variety of areas: sports, music and other performing arts, debate, natural or computer science, etc.
Rathdown School provides an excellent quality of education that leads to amazing results for pupils. At the Leaving Certificate program for 2013-2018, high results were achieved:
- Every fifth student earned more than 550 final points,
- 2 out of 5 scored 500+ points, 3 out of five scored 450+ points, 3/4 of the students scored 400+ points, 9 out of 10 scored 300+ points,
- The average success score was 480 points.
Facilities and equipment at Rathdown Private School
The campus occupies 16 hectares in Glenageary, on a picturesque hill overlooking the sea and the Wicklow Mountains. The school is well and conveniently located, so it will not be difficult for students to get to the campus by private car, taxi, train (10 minutes walk from the Glenageary railway station), tram or bus. Soon, Rathdown School will launch its own bus transfer (from Glenageary Dart station). Dublin International Airport is about an hour away by car.
The school has its own music school: in the evenings and on weekends, students play musical instruments in rehearsal studios.
Admission dates and extra charges
Paid separately and not included in the price of programs:
- Administrative fee,
- Registration fee (non-refundable),
- Deposit for studies,
- Deposit for accommodation,
- English lessons (for foreign students, optional),
- Extended day program (up to 17-18 hours, with a snack).
Applications for any educational stage are accepted throughout the year, enrollment is based on the availability of free places in the desired class. The enrollment process goes through the following stages:
- Online filling of the registration form,
- Registration and filling out an application for the selected educational stage, submission of financial documents,
- Uploading a package of documents (personal, from a student),
- Submission of documents for a grant or scholarship (if required).
After that, the school determines whether the student is suitable for it, and in case of a positive decision, sends an invitation and informs the family about the next steps.
The school offers Open Days and personal visits to the campus for interested families: during these hours you can communicate with representatives of the admissions committee and teachers, evaluate the capabilities of the campus, technical equipment, and the convenience of residences.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
The main requirement for applicants is confirmation of the proper level of English (internal test of the school, Cambridge exam, IELTS). It must be confirmed by everyone for whom the native language is not Irish or English. If the level is not enough, the foreign student is assigned additional language classes (EAL).
Every foreign minor apprentice must have a guardian in Ireland. He must be an adult citizen of Ireland (from 25 years old), permanently reside in the country (and within an hour's drive to school). The guardian will represent the interests of the child while his parents are away.
Scholarships Rathdown Private School
The school offers discounts for children from the same family who study at Rathdown at the same time:
- 5% for the second child,
- 10% for the third child,
- 15% for the fourth child,
- 20% for the fifth child.
Rathdown School is also ready to provide financial assistance (scholarship) to students from families who cannot pay for their studies in full. Applications for such scholarships should be submitted separately; The review process is confidential.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Rathdown Private School
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
|- we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
|- we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
|- we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
|- recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.