Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University. H.A. Dobrolyubova, NGLU
Description of Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University. H.A. Dobrolyubova, NGLU
- Location: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia;
- Age of students: from 17 years;
- Type: mixed;
- Language of instruction: Russian.
NSLU was founded on September 13, 1937 as the Gorky Pedagogical Institute of Foreign Languages on the basis of the higher courses of foreign languages operating at that time in the city of Gorky. The functions and powers of the founder of the university are carried out by the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia.
Faculties and colleges
The structure of the NGLU includes:
- 4 Higher Schools as Faculties:
- linguistics, pedagogy and psychology;
- social sciences;
- international relations and world processes;
- 3 institutes:
- Russian language;
- distance learning;
- continuing education;
- Confucius Institute at NGLU.
In 2021, NGLU was awarded the status of a federal innovation platform.
On the basis of NGLU, 2 consortia carry out activities:
- Scientific and Educational Consortium "Personnel for the High-Performance Export-Oriented Sector of the Basic Sectors of the Economy";
- Regional Cluster Consortium for Linguistic Education.
The university implements a number of interdisciplinary research projects:
- "Integration of natural science and humanitarian knowledge on the basis of intercultural communication, dialogue of cultures and information revolution as the most important feature of cultural and civilizational processes in society";
- "Linguoculturological, didactic and methodological aspects of the formation of foreign communicative competence in the professional sphere";
- "Philosophy and Sociology of Communication" and "Germans in the History and Culture of the Nizhny Novgorod Region";
- "Problems of Governance in Complex Economic and Social Systems".
Employees of the university continued grant research in the framework of the RFBR competition for the best projects of fundamental scientific research:
- "Basic principles for the education of teachers of translation";
- "Holy Russia" as a constant: the development of the concept in Russian literature and philosophical journalism and its perception in Western European cultures (1820s -1920s) »;
- "Linguocognitive model of teaching foreign language syntax (on the material of the English language)".
The scientific journal "Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University named after N.A. Dobrolyubov" is published at the NGLU.
In NGLU there is a student scientific society #LUNNScience and student scientific circles.
For more than 40 years, a scientific society of students has been working at NGLU, which works on 13 thematic blocks (sections):
- Linguistics (English language);
- Country Studies of Great Britain;
- U.S. Country Studies;
- German language and country studies of Germany;
- French language and country studies of France;
- Intercultural communication and world literature;
- Russian literature in the world cultural context;
- Mother tongue in the world cultural context;
- Russia-West-East: experience of historical and cultural interactions;
- Diplomacy and foreign policy in the history of Russia;
- Regional Studies;
- Translation and Translation Studies.
Things to know about
17 foreign languages are taught at NGLU:
- Farsi (Persian);
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University. H.A. Dobrolyubova, NGLU
Accommodation, meals, prices
On the balance sheet of the university there are two dormitories for students, combined into a campus. The number of places to stay is 335 and 488, respectively.
Catering facilities include two dining rooms with dining rooms and two buffets for a total of 140 seats.
Activities Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University. H.A. Dobrolyubova, NGLU
There are 25 student associations in the university:
- NLU Student Sports Club;
- NGLU Support Group FLUNNINGO;
- Dance group ELEGANTE;
- Tourist club "Robinson";
- Lunn Globe Student International Club;
- Club of Foreign Students of the University;
- NGLU Academic Choir;
- Folklore and ethnographic ensemble "Blue Flax";
- Student Theater Studio "LGUN";
- Multicultural Center NGLU iVoLUNNteer;
- Student Scientific and Discussion Club "Tribune";
- LinTime Student Television;
- Radio "Linguist" and others.
National teams in sports are educated in NGLU:
- cross-country skiing;
- table tennis;
- bullet shooting;
- basketball (male and female);
- volleyball (male and female);
- mini-football (husband and female);
- 3x3 basketball (male and female);
- beach volleyball (male and female).
Every year, the asset of the sports club organizes camps in the sports and recreation camp "Linguist".
Tourist club "Robinson" organizes:
- hiking with a backpack;
- trekking (Russia, Turkey, Montenegro, Cyprus, Abkhazia);
- kayak trips in the Nizhny Novgorod region;
- mountain simple and categorical hikes;
- weekend hiking;
- alparking and ice climbing;
- ski trips;
- in-depth education course for tourists.
NGLU students actively participate in the creative activities of NGLU and take prizes at competitions of regional, federal, international scale.
Students who are engaged in creative associations hold monthly flash mobs and mini-concerts within the walls of the university, help in organizing and holding university concerts and events.
The university has a Headquarters of student detachments "Behind the Dream!", which includes 3 detachments of pedagogical orientation, a detachment of conductors "Legion" and a service detachment of animators.
Facilities and equipment at Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University. H.A. Dobrolyubova, NGLU
NGLU is provided with a property complex, including:
- 4 educational buildings;
- 2 dormitories;
- sports and recreation camp "Linguist".
The premises used include:
- lecture and seminar auditoriums;
- classrooms for practical and laboratory classes;
- computer labs;
- language classes;
- laboratories with a music library;
- video laboratory;
- university-wide library;
- reading rooms;
- resource and educational centers;
- 4 sports halls;
- 2 assembly halls for 350 and 150 seats.
All premises of the university are equipped with the necessary equipment.
Educational and auxiliary premises:
- administrative and office premises;
- psychological assistance room;
- medical office;
- publishing center;
All NGLU facilities are equipped with access control, video monitoring and video recording systems.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year begins on September 1 and is divided into two semesters, each of which ends with a test-examination session in accordance with the curriculum.
Additional expenses of students may include a fee for accommodation in a hostel (for non-residents), meals, leisure and other expenses.
The following documents are required for admission:
- Passport (copies of the 2-3rd page and the registration page);
- Certificate (diploma) with an appendix;
- 6 photos 3x4 ;
- Medical certificate ;
- A copy of the targeted agreement;
- Documents confirming special rights and/or individual achievements;
- Diploma of winners and prize-winners of the final stage of the All-Russian Olympiad of schoolchildren, winners and prize-winners of Olympiads from the List of Olympiads of schoolchildren.
You can submit an application for admission and documents in person, by mail or online.
In general, the competition for state-funded full-time places in the university is about 50 people per place. The most popular among applicants are the areas of "Linguistics", "Pedagogical Education" and "Pedagogical Education", the competition for which reaches 110 people per place.
The main partner organizations for the employment of NGLU graduates:
- Representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation in Nizhny Novgorod;
- ACE Target LLC (communication agency);
- CROP Engineering LLC;
- Burmania LLC;
- LLC "Mouzenidis Travel — Nizhny Novgorod";
- logistics company "Right Bank";
- Regional project management and organization of mass events "CENTER 800";
- Nizhny Novgorod Regional Public Organization "Congress of Iranian-Speaking Peoples";
- Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University;
- Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University named after R.E. Alekseev;
- Nizhny Novgorod Center for German and European Culture;
- National Research Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod;
- general educational institutions of Nizhny Novgorod;
- CHU DO Langbridge;
- Alba Translation Agency;
- translation agency "Lingvart";
- Transkontakt company;
- travel agency "Autopilot";
- Ministry of Education, Science and Youth Policy of the Nizhny Novgorod Region, etc.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Applicants to the university must meet the following requirements:
- age from 17 years;
- completed education not lower than secondary complete general.
The minimum number of points according to the results of the Unified State Exam:
- Mathematics, 39;
- Russian language — 40;
- Informatics and ICT, 44;
- Foreign language — 30;
- Social Studies, 45;
- History, 35;
- Geography — 40;
- Literature — 40.
Scholarships Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University. H.A. Dobrolyubova, NGLU
The following types of scholarships are paid to NGLU:
- state academic;
- state social;
- advanced state academic;
- state social in an increased amount;
- scholarships of the President of the Russian Federation and the Government of the Russian Federation;
- named, special.
In addition, the university provides material support to students who find themselves in a difficult life situation.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Nizhny Novgorod State Linguistic University. H.A. Dobrolyubova, NGLU
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.