Moscow State Academy of Choreography, MGAH
Description of Moscow State Academy of Choreography, MGAH
- Location: Moscow, Russia;
- Age of students: from 17;
- Type: mixed;
- Language of instruction: Russian.
The Moscow State Academy of Choreography is the oldest theatrical university in the Russian Federation: the first "Classes of Theatrical Dance" were organized in 1773. At the moment, mgah is known as a branch of the Bolshoi Ballet School. Teachers of the Academy are well-known People's and Honored Artists of the USSR and Laureates of State Prizes.
Faculties and colleges
The Academy provides educational services at the following faculties:
- Additional education.
As well as:
- Branch in Kaliningrad;
- Branch in Kemerovo;
- Branch in Vladivostok.
Also in the administration of the MGAH is a college that provides educational services to children from 7 years old.
Things to know about
MGAH is one of the most prestigious ballet schools in the world. In 2020, the Academy was awarded the gratitude of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan for its contribution to the development of cultural exchange through art between Japan and the Russian Federation.
The training program of the university includes ballet techniques and work on pointe shoes, characteristic and historical dances, pas de deux and jazz.
From the walls of the Academy of Choreography, such famous and recognized ballet dancers as:
- Maya Plisetskaya;
- Nikolai Tsiskaridze;
- Natalia Bessmertnova;
- Dmitry Gudanov;
- Raisa Struchkova;
- Igor Moiseev;
- Alexander Plisetsky;
- Mikhail Lavronsky.
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Moscow State Academy of Choreography, MGAH
Accommodation, meals, prices
The Moscow State Academy of Arts provides nonresident students studying on a budgetary and paid basis with a hostel where separate accommodation of young and female students is provided. The total cost, which includes utilities, is about 400 rubles per month.
The university has a dining room for 300 seats.
Activities Moscow State Academy of Choreography, MGAH
The following events are held at mgah with the involvement of students:
- Concerts of graduates in the Bolshoi Theater of Russia;
- Gala concert of the All-Russian Decade of Graduates of Creative Universities;
- Charity concert dedicated to International Women's Day;
- International Ballet Festival in the Kremlin;
- Christmas concert in MGAH;
- Concert dedicated to the Day of the Defender of the Fatherland in the Moscow State Academy of Arts;
- Performance of MGAH students at the festival of student creativity "Tatiana's Day";
- Concert of the Presidential Orchestra of the Russian Federation with the participation of pupils and students of the Moscow State Academy of Arts in the Svetlanov Hall of the Moscow International House of Music;
- Festival of Russian ballet schools "Dedication to Marius Petipa" on the stage of the State Academic Bolshoi Theater of Russia.
Facilities and equipment at Moscow State Academy of Choreography, MGAH
The Academy has one three-storey building with a total area of more than 18,000 square meters, where the educational process takes place. For theoretical classes, the university allocates 25 classrooms equipped with all the necessary material and technical base: TVs, computers, projectors, DVD players. 11 classrooms are designed for music classes, equipped with new grand pianos and pianos. For practical classes, choreographic halls and an educational theater are organized, equipped with a special floor covering, mirrors, machines, pianos, stage equipment and lighting equipment. Students have access to three rest rooms, a library provided with an electronic system, which makes it possible to use the book and music fund. The library is equipped with computers and laptops, has access to the international database of scientific information Scopus.
Admission dates and extra charges
When studying at mgah, students assume the following additional costs:
- to pay for accommodation;
- for leisure and recreation.
For admission to the Moscow State Academy of Arts, the applicant must submit the following list of documents to the admission committee:
- Identity document, citizenship;
- State-issued document on education and qualifications;
- Documents confirming the use of the right to admission within a special quota;
- Documents confirming individual achievements, the results of which are taken into account at the reception;
- 2 photos.
The documents that are necessary for admission are sent to the Academy in one of the following ways:
- Personally entering the admission committee;
- By mail;
- In electronic form through EPGU (super service "Enter the university online").
Currently, the total number of students in mgah is more than 170.
The university cooperates with a large number of well-known dance groups, ballet groups and Russian theaters. In the learning process, for a better entry into professional activities, special practical exercises are held on the basis of the following organizations:
- State Academic Bolshoi Theatre of Russia;
- State Kremlin Palace;
- Moscow State Academic Children's Musical Theater named after N. I. Sats;
- Moscow Academic Musical Theater named after People's Artists K. S. Stanislavsky and Vl. I. Nemirovich-Danchenko;
- State Academic Mariinsky Theatre.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
To enter the educational programs of the bachelor's degree, the applicant must:
- Completed education not lower than secondary general;
- Scores for the Unified State Exam are not lower:
- Russian language — 40;
- Literature — 40.
- Points obtained on the basis of the results of the entrance profile test conducted by the Academy are not lower than 50.
For admission to postgraduate programs it is necessary:
- Completed higher education;
- Successful passing of entrance tests, the passing scores for which the academy sets independently:
- Special discipline;
- Foreign language.
Scholarships Moscow State Academy of Choreography, MGAH
MGAH provides students with the following types of material support for full-time budgetary education:
- Scholarships of the President of the Russian Federation;
- Scholarships of the Government of the Russian Federation;
- State academic scholarships;
- State scholarships;
- State social scholarships;
- Personal scholarships from other (extrabudgetary) sources;
- Annual scholarship of the Svetlana Zakharova Charitable Foundation for the Promotion of ballet art;
- All-Russian competition "Young Talents of Russia".
In addition, the Academy provides material assistance to needy students and graduate students.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Moscow State Academy of Choreography, MGAH
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.