Lake Königssee is one of the most beautiful in Bavaria. It is not for nothing that its name translates as “royal”. The second name of the reservoir - Bartalomeusei - was obtained due to the proximity of the church of St. Bartholomew. Amazingly clear water, always cool because of the glacial origin of the lake, incredible alpine views ... Your every sound will certainly turn into an echo. A thousand people rest here annually - enough to consider the place popular, and very little to consider it noisy. If you want to take a break from the crowded German streets, take a break away from the bustle of the city - the royal lake Königssee is at your service!
Everything you need to know about the lake
The royal lake appeared due to the melting of glaciers that covered the surface of the earth during the Ice Age. This left its mark on the water temperature - here it is 12 degrees year-round, so swimming is prohibited.
The Koenigssee waters are emerald-transparent, they are closely monitored for their purity. Since 1909, the lake is allowed to sail only in rowing or pedal boats, small vessels with an electric motor.
How to get to the pond?
- The lake is located in close proximity to the border of Austria, to Munich Airport - less than 200 kilometers, to Salzburg - 30
- It is more convenient to get from Salzburg, and not even because of the proximity: there are no direct routes from Munich, only with transfers
- From major cities, a Bavarian ticket allows you to get to Berchtesgaden or Bad Reichenhall: local tourist buses run from them, which will take you directly to the lake
- One of the most convenient options is to rent a car, where you can go around the whole of Bavaria.
Where to stay?
The nearest settlement to the lake is Schonau am Koenigssee. There are several hotels where you can stay and extend your stay in a great place:
- Explorer Hotel Berchtesgaden, 3 * - a hotel that is considered an ideal point for hiking and cycling routes
- Gästezimmer Hanottenlehen Pension with breakfast, great views, free internet
- Pension Hochödlehen Bavarian-style family-run guest house
- Apartment Apartment Schönau Am Königssee 3 *, which is located just 6 kilometers from the lake.
- Each excursion, crossing the lake, stops in the middle to blow and hear an echo
- On the north side of the lake there is the Königssee sledge-bobsleigh track
- On the only lake island in 1711, a statue of Jan Nepomuk was erected and a grotto was built.
- In the vicinity of Königssee there was a branch of the Dachau concentration camp.
The object belongs to the lakes.