Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute at the Evgeny Vakhtangov State Academic Theatre
Description of Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute at the Evgeny Vakhtangov State Academic Theatre
- Location: Moscow, Russia
- Age of students: from 17 years;
- Type: mixed;
- Language of instruction: Russian.
The Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute is one of the oldest universities in Russia, it has been preserving the traditions of theatrical art for more than a century. One of the distinctive features of the Shchukin Theatre Institute is the teaching staff, which consists of graduates of the university itself: this approach allows preserving the traditional values and methods of "Vakhtangov" training of actors.
Faculties and colleges
The Structure of the Boris Shchukin Theater Institute includes 7 departments and 4 educational theaters:
- Department of Stage Speech;
- Department of Acting Skills;
- Department of Directing;
- Department of Musical Expression;
- Department of Art History;
- Department of Plastic Expression;
- Department of Philosophy, History and Theory of Culture.
Things to know about
The teaching staff of the Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute is formed exclusively from graduates of the university.
The history of the Theatre Institute begins with the creation by Evgeny Bagrationovich Vakhtangov of an amateur theater circle ("Student Studio") in 1913.
In December 2021, a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Shchukin Theatre Institute and the Nico Pepe Civil Academy of Dramatic Art (Italy).
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute at the Evgeny Vakhtangov State Academic Theatre
Accommodation, meals, prices
For comfortable education of nonresident students, the Theatre Institute provides for the allocation of a hostel - a total of 107 places.
Meals for students are provided in the main building of the Institute, in the dining room for 40 seats.
Activities Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute at the Evgeny Vakhtangov State Academic Theatre
On the stage of the educational theater of the Institute, performances with the participation of university students are regularly staged. In addition, during the educational process, university students can participate in castings for roles in films, performances or advertisements.
Facilities and equipment at Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute at the Evgeny Vakhtangov State Academic Theatre
At the disposal of the Theater Institute, in addition to the main historical building of the Shchukin Institute, there are:
- part of the building of the Simonov stage of the Vakhtangov Theater;
- "Chaliapin House";
- The new building of the School, in which the department of plastic expressiveness of the actor works.
The Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute is equipped with: theatre classrooms, dance and ballet halls, training stages and auditoriums, rooms for independent rehearsals.
In the main building of the Institute there is a library and a dining room.
Admission dates and extra charges
The academic year at the Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute is organized in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation:
- Fall Semester;
- Winter session;
- Winter-Spring Semester;
- Summer session.
Vacations are divided into two parts:
- winter (several weeks, taking into account the New Year holidays);
- summer (2 months, July-August).
The cost of living in the hostel of the Theatre Institute:
- State-funded students = 584 rubles / month;
- Students on the contract = 834 rubles / month.
The process of admission to the Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute begins on June 20. Before the start of the entrance tests, applicants must pass an audition and three qualifying rounds.
Listening takes place by recording video material, which contains information about the applicant and a reading program with different face and body angles.
Subsequent qualifying rounds, competition and entrance tests are held exclusively in full-time form.
Documents for admission can be submitted in three convenient ways:
- Through the portal "Public Services";
- Personally to the admissions office;
- By mail.
Every year, about 400 people study at the Boris Shchukin Theater Institute, about 60% are trained at the expense of the budget.
In the first year after graduating from the Institute, about 95% of graduates get a job. Some graduates go into teaching and continue the Vakhtangov tradition of teaching acting.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Applicants to the Theatre Institute for the specialties of acting and directing skills must have creative potential and competent speech. Skills are welcome: the ability to sing, the possession of musical instruments, the ability to dance, juggle, etc.
Scholarships Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute at the Evgeny Vakhtangov State Academic Theatre
- State academic scholarship, including an increased one;
- State social scholarship, including increased;
- Scholarships of the President of the Russian Federation;
- Scholarships of the Government of the Russian Federation;
- Personal scholarships;
- State scholarship for postgraduate students.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute at the Evgeny Vakhtangov State Academic Theatre
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.