Admiral F. F. Ushakov State Maritime University, SMU
Description of Admiral F. F. Ushakov State Maritime University, SMU
- Location: Novorossiysk, Russia;
- Age of students: from 17;
- Type of education: mixed;
- Language of instruction: Russian.
The university was founded in 1975 in the city of Novorossiysk and at the moment is the largest higher educational institution of water transport in the Russian Federation. The University educates specialists in the field of navigation and maritime law. At the moment, SMU has the best education equipment for education students.
The educational process at SMU includes courses of lectures, seminars, as well as the passage of education swimming practice.
Faculties and colleges
- Faculty of Water Transport and Navigation Operation;
- Faculty of Shipbuilding;
- Military Centre;
- Correspondence Faculty;
- Institute of Maritime Transport Management, Economics and Law;
- Faculty of Secondary Vocational Education and Pre-University education.
There are two branches at the university:
- Institute of Water Transport named after G. Y. Sedov — branch in Rostov-on-Don;
- Vice-Admiral V. A. Kornilov Maritime Institute is a branch in Sevastopol.
In 2022, the university provided 33 completed scientific works. SMU publishes two of its scientific journals: "Bulletin of the State Maritime University named after F. F. Ushakov" and "Operation of Maritime Transport".
Things to know about
SMU has established international cooperation with the following educational institutions:
- Wessex Institute of Technology (UK);
- Chabahar Higher Education Center for Maritime and Marine Sciences (Iran);
- Institute of Maritime Law (UK);
- Caspian State University of Technologies and Engineering named after Yessenov (Kazakhstan);
- Danish Maritime University (Denmark);
- Svendborg International Maritime Academy (Denmark).
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Admiral F. F. Ushakov State Maritime University, SMU
Accommodation, meals, prices
For the meals of cadets and employees, a canteen is provided (only for students on a budget form and those who have concluded a catering contract) for 993 seats and three buffets for 165 seats.
For nonresident full-time students, the university provides a hostel on the territory. Students of the budget form are provided with free three hot meals a day.
Activities Admiral F. F. Ushakov State Maritime University, SMU
To attract students to the social life of the university, the following events are organized:
- Sports competitions between faculties;
- International Spartakiad of Students of Transport Universities;
- "Autumn Assembly";
- University "Kvartirnik";
- Contest "My Legislative Initiative";
- All-Russian Festival-Competition "Five Stars";
- International action "Garden of Memory".
Facilities and equipment at Admiral F. F. Ushakov State Maritime University, SMU
The entire educational process is carried out in three educational buildings and a laboratory complex. The buildings are equipped with auditoriums designed for lectures and practical classes. The offices are equipped with the necessary furniture, technical means: computers, projection screens, video projectors, plasma TVs.
Students are provided with access to the library system of the university, visualizing materials, speech enhancement systems and an electronic text magnifier are provided for persons with visual impairments.
For sports, the university has a gym and an open stadium of a wide profile with elements of an obstacle course.
Admission dates and extra charges
In SMU, the learning process in the academic year is divided into two semesters: autumn and spring. At the end of each, an examination session is held, after which students are given holidays (in winter in January, in summer in July and August).
When studying at the university, students assume the following additional costs:
- to pay for accommodation in the hostel;
- for leisure and recreation.
For admission to the university, applicants provide:
- Identity document, citizenship;
- State-issued document on education and qualifications;
- Documents confirming the use of the right to admission within a special quota;
- Documents confirming individual achievements, the results of which are taken into account at the reception;
- A document confirming registration in the individual accounting system (if any).
The necessary package of documents is provided to the university:
- By mail;
- Personally to the admissions office;
- Through EPGU.
At the moment, more than 5,000 students study at the university. According to the results of the admission campaign of 2022, 528 people entered the state medical university on the budget, the passing score was 224 points, and the average competition was 5.5 people per place.
The University cooperates with Russian and foreign shipping companies, where students can undergo education and production swimming practice with possible further employment.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
For admission to the educational programs of bachelor's and specialist's degree, the applicant must:
- Completed education not lower than secondary general;
- Points received for the Unified State Exam are not lower:
- Mathematics , 27;
- Physics — 36;
- Chemistry — 36;
- Informatics and ICT, 40;
- Russian language — 36;
- Social Studies, 42;
- History, 32;
- Biology, 36;
- Foreign language — 22;
- Geography — 37.
For admission to master's programs it is necessary:
- Completed higher education;
- Successful passing of the university entrance tests, the minimum score for which is set by the university itself:
- Specialized exam;
- Interview and portfolio evaluation.
For admission to postgraduate programs it is necessary:
- Completed higher education;
- Successful passing of entrance tests, the minimum score for which is set by the university itself:
- Special discipline;
- Foreign language.
Scholarships Admiral F. F. Ushakov State Maritime University, SMU
For material support of students, the university allocates the following scholarships:
- State academic – for students and undergraduates;
- State social;
- Scholarships of the President of the Russian Federation;
- Scholarships of the Government of the Russian Federation;
- State - graduate students and doctoral students;
In addition, the university provides material assistance to students in need.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
- Guardianship services during the studies
- Student supervision
Review about Admiral F. F. Ushakov State Maritime University, SMU
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.