Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (DA MFA of Russia)
Description of Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (DA MFA of Russia)
The seniority of the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Foreign Ministry dates back to 1934, when the Institute for the education of Diplomats and Consular Workers was opened at the People's Commissariat for Foreign Affairs, which makes the Diplomatic Academy the oldest institution of this type in the world. Five years later it was transformed into the Higher Diplomatic School, in 1974 it received the status of an academy. Since 1992, the permanent rector is Anatoly Torkunov.
For eighty years of work, it has educatedthousands of highly qualified diplomatic and consular workers, of which 560 became Ambassadors Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary.
Today it is an elite higher educational institution of a departmental nature: the Academy was established by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia. Along with higher education programs, he is also engaged in advanced education of domestic and foreign diplomatic workers. More than one and a half thousand students are educatedwithin the walls of the Academy, of which at least 20% are foreign citizens.
The university carries out enrollment without taking into account the requirements for the age, gender, religious and national affiliation of applicants. According to the magazine Alma Mater, in 2019, representatives of 29 states who speak 27 languages studied here. The language of instruction is Russian.
The Academy provides an opportunity to get a prestigious, modern and sought-after education in a number of public and humanitarian areas, such as international law and the law of international organizations, international relations and diplomacy, journalism, foreign trade, IT and computer security, public administration.
Structurally, the Academy consists of 3 faculties and 13 departments, of which 8 are devoted to social and scientific areas, and another 5 are linguistic. There is a Center for the Study of Foreign Languages, a Center and other structures responsible for additional vocational education.
Students can study in one of 3 formats:
- full-time and part-time,
- in absentia.
Higher education programs of three levels are available - bachelor's, master's and postgraduate studies, additional education programs, pre-university education .
Programs and prices, tuition fees in Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (DA MFA of Russia)
Accommodation, meals, prices
Nonresident full-time students are provided with a dormitory.
The building of the hostel is located a few minutes walk from the metro station "Preobrazhenskaya Square", in a green and quiet place. Within walking distance there is a cinema, a youth library with a convenient work schedule, several cafes and restaurants of different price categories.
Students live in single, double and triple apartments equipped with all amenities. Accommodation is paid, the cost is tied to the occupied area and varies from 3 to 9 thousand rubles (com. services are paid separately).
The total number of places is 90, places for applicants in 2022 - 80.
Activities Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (DA MFA of Russia)
Within the walls of the university there are several dozen student associations, including a student council and a parliamentary club, a debate platform, a dance studio "YAD", a ballroom dance studio, a club for classical music lovers, several linguistic clubs based on specialized language departments.
In their free time, students can be implemented in such formats as:
- Association of International Governments;
- Model UNITED Nations DAIMMUN;
- Youth Information Centre;
- DipNews student magazine;
- Project office;
- Search Squad;
- Volunteer Corps.
Various closed events are held within the walls of the Academy and beyond: meetings with representatives of the business community, diplomatic workers, employees of international organizations, influential experts, journalists and politicians from Russia and foreign countries. Part of the classes are conducted by current employees of the central office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation and Rossotrudnichestvo.
- The university has the right to independently organize dissertation councils and determine their powers. Currently, there are three dissertation councils that have the right to award the qualification of doctor and candidate of sciences in 4 scientific specialties;
- Targeted sets are practiced in the interests of the state authorities of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation (in this case, tuition is paid from the budget of the subject);
- There is an opportunity to get high-quality education for free: the competition varies from 6 to 12 people per place, depending on the faculty;
- Among the two hundred teachers of the Academy there are 42 doctors of sciences and professors, 57 candidates of sciences and associate professors, 49 researchers. 52 employees and teachers of the Diplomatic Academy have the rank of diplomat, including 12 - the highest rank of Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, which ensures the highest level of professional education ;
- The programs of the university at all three levels of education have international accreditation.
Facilities and equipment at Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (DA MFA of Russia)
The building is located on Ostozhenka, in a mansion of the second half of the XIX century, which at different times housed the Lyceum named after Tsarevich Nicholas and the People's Commissariat of Education.
Students of the Diplomatic Academy are provided with access to modern educational, entertainment and recreational infrastructure:
- Library named after V. I. Popov. Designed for 57 seats, the funds have more than 300 thousand copies; an electronic library is functioning, access to various domestic and international subscription resources has been organized;
- Sports and games hall with an area of more than 400 square meters, equipped with everything necessary for everyday sports and various competitions, cultural events;
- Conference hall for 250 seats and assembly hall for 100 seats;
- Students and employees of the Academy are assigned to a polyclinic, where they can receive qualified medical care in full;
- There is a dining room and a cafeteria for 90 and 30 seats, respectively (in the dining room you can use the kitchen in order to heat up the food that the student brought with him);
- Within the walls of the university there is a one-of-a-kind museum of international etiquette and culture, which has unique exhibits that reveal the history of domestic and world diplomacy from unexpected sides and non-standard points of view.
Admission dates and extra charges
- According to the results of the unified state exam: June 14 – July 25.
- For Internal Entrance Tests (IAI): June 14 – July 10. Internal entrance tests: July 11 – 25.
- The year is divided into 2 semesters, classes begin in September and the second half of January, respectively.
- The bachelor's degree program lasts 4 years, classes are held full-time.
- For all forms of education of the first stream:
- Documents are accepted from June 14 to July 20
- Exams are held from July 21 to August 6.
- For distance learning (second stream):
- Documents are accepted from July 21 to November 15
- Exams are held on November 16-20.
- The duration of the program varies from 2 to 2.5 years.
Entry requirements, how to apply, what is required to enrol
Applicants must provide the following documents:
- General civil passport;
- Certificate of complete secondary education with the appendix of an extract of academic performance;
- 4 photos 3x4 ;
- results of the Unified State Exam;
- the results of internal entrance tests (if they are provided for in the program);
- certificate of absence of HIV;
- registration certificate (for young men).
It is required to undergo a preliminary medical examination.
To enroll in the Programs of the Diplomatic Academy, it is required to pass the Unified State Exam in one of 3 combinations:
- Russian language, mathematics, foreign language;
- Russian language, history, foreign language;
- Russian language, social studies, foreign language.
The Academy has a system of additional bonus points for applicants:
- for the presence of a gold TRP badge – 2 points;
- for the gold medal – 7 points;
- for a diploma of secondary vocational education with honors - 7 points;
- for volunteer activities – 1 point.
Scholarships Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (DA MFA of Russia)
Students and postgraduates of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs can take part in the competition for scholarships of the President or the Government of the Russian Federation, as well as personal scholarships.
In addition, a competition of young international affairs specialists named after A.A. Gromyko is held annually, organized by MGIMO, the Diplomatic Academy and state authorities of Russia, Belarus and the Union State; winners receive valuable prizes, recommendations for internships, grants for research or advanced education . The application is submitted until May 12 inclusive.
Institution on the map
Residence permits, citizenship and other services
Review about Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation (DA MFA of Russia)
Recommendations on when to apply
|Language courses, schools and children's language camps||Primary and secondary education - private schools||Preparation programmes for entering universities - higher education||Higher education (after completing accredited programs A-level, IB, High School) - Bachelor, Master, MBA|
| - we recommend to apply 6-9 months before the start of the course (some camps and schools offer discounts for early booking or for lengthy study programs) |
- there are some very popular and high demand children's camps, where the applications need to be submitted 1 year in advance (in particular Switzerland , Great Britain , USA , Canada , Austria)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the training program, |
- some schools have a specific time frame (September-November - please specify an individual school)
- some schools require tests in several stages (UKISET, internal tests of the school: English, mathematics, logics, subjects, interview, some require a personal visit)
| - we recommend to apply one year before the start of the program, |
- for Foundation and Pathway programs, IELTS and TOEFL certificates are usually required, respectively
| - recommended submission one year before the start of the program, |
- the deadline normally closes in January, for TOP HEIs and, as a rule, in March in other universities
- for a bachelor, a Foundation or Pathway preparatory program a completed A-level, IB, High School + IELTS / TOEFL are required
- for Masters you need a graduated higher education, in some cases you need a pre-Masters program
- MBA requires completed higher education, work experience preferably at least 2-3 years, etc.