- General education system in Switzerland
- Secondary education in Switzerland: programs, age for admission, language of instruction
- Preparatory programs before entering the University of Switzerland and Europe
- Higher Education in Switzerland
- Language courses in Switzerland for Russian and international students
- Getting a student visa to Switzerland
- List of prestigious and popular schools in Switzerland
Switzerland is one of the best countries for living, it always takes a leading position in the top ratings on living standards. Impeccable quality of education, rich nature, comfortable climate, developed culture, benevolent local people - all this attracts schoolchildren and students from all over the world every year. There are a lot of students who want to study in Switzerland : more than 50 nationalities live and study here, and Swiss education is highly valued in the international market, which allows graduates of schools and universities to take a confident step towards a successful career.
Russian and foreign students can start their education at any stage: from primary school to postgraduate education; In the educational institutions, together with the national training system, the main international programs are presented.
General education system in Switzerland
The education system in Switzerland includes several foreign education programs - in this way it is possible to study in its territory at different departments:
- Swiss (Schweizer Maturität)
- British ( GCSE , A-Level)
- American ( High School Diploma , Advanced Placement)
- French (Diplome National du Brevet, French Baccalaureate)
- German (Das Deutsche Abitur)
- Italian (Esame di Stato).
Secondary education in Switzerland: programs, age for admission, language of instruction
In Switzerland, the bilingual system of education is widespread: both studies can be conducted in two languages simultaneously, which is very common among foreign students who want to learn several foreign languages at once.
Available European training systems after 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 classes:
- at the Swiss branch, foreign students start training from grade 7 and continue their studies to grade 12 - after graduation they receive the Swiss matriculation certificate Schweizer Maturität. Training is provided in German , French , English or several languages at the same time.
- The German program Das Deutsche Abitur receives schoolchildren from 16 years: a two-year course allows to level the difference between the 11- and 13-year educational cycles, the training is carried out in German.
- at the French department, Russian and foreigners can continue their studies after grades 8-9 - they pass the exam at the end to receive the French Baccalaureat matriculation certificate and can additionally prepare for the TOEFL , Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English , Cambridge Advanced English , Advanced Placement Program SAT I & II.
- at the Italian branch in Switzerland, schoolchildren undergo a curriculum in Italian, and at the end they take the state examination Esame di Stato. There are two types of diploma: with a natural science bias (Maturità Scientifica) and a linguistic bias (Maturità Linguistica).
English-language programs in Switzerland after 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 classes:
- High School Diploma, Advanced placement.
Preparatory programs before entering the University of Switzerland and Europe
You can enter the university after the following stages of education:
- graduation from high school
- passing the pre-university program.
Graduates of secondary schools in Switzerland, if there are enough points in academic subjects and with a high level of knowledge of a foreign language, have the right to enroll in a number of universities around the world immediately after graduation.
In high school for schoolchildren are given the freedom to choose the core subjects: it helps students to prepare for entering the university for a certain specialty; If the student has not yet decided on the future profession, he chooses objects of interest.
There are pre-university courses for foreign students who help prepare for admission to higher education institutions for the undergraduate program, and one of the most popular in Switzerland is the International Foundation . This course comes after grade 11, graduates of schools over 17 years, the duration is usually 2 semesters.
Examples of schools and universities with the International Foundation program:
- IFM University of Finance and Management (Geneva) is a popular university in the field of business education, cost per term - from 6500CHF
- Surval Montreux (Montreux) is an elite school for girls with the possibility of learning English or French, the price for a trimester is 24250CHF.
Higher Education in Switzerland
Organization of studies in universities:
- undergraduate degree
- master's degree
- doctoral studies.
The main directions in the universities are hotel and tourist business, management, finance, restaurant business. In Switzerland, higher education is distributed not only in English, but also in French.
- For example, the Ecole Hoteliere de Lausanne (Lausanne), the hotel management institute, provides training in both English and French. The educational institution has partner agreements with many Swiss, European and world companies, organizing internships, internships and subsequent employment for students. The cost of studying under the bachelor's program is from 19475CHF / year, magistracy - from 34890CHF / 16 months.
- The duration of the undergraduate degree is 3 years, but at the European University (EU) the undergraduate curriculum can be reduced to 2 years if the student is willing to continue intensive training in the summer months. The cost is from 13550CHF / semester.
Language courses in Switzerland for Russian and international students
For studying abroad you do not need to have a high level of knowledge of a foreign language - simultaneously with an academic program you can attend linguistic courses. Before entering the educational institutions, many children enter the language schools : this allows you to break down the language barrier or even begin to study academic subjects.
Getting a student visa to Switzerland
To apply, the student applies personally to the visa center: this matter must be taken care of in advance in order to have time to get permission to enter the country before the start of the school year or program. Among the necessary documents: confirmation of enrollment from the educational institution, a letter of guarantee from the sponsor, confirmation of payment of expenses, school certificates, diplomas, certificates (translated into English, French, German or Italian).
Depending on the purpose of the visit to Switzerland, Embassy employees have the right to request the applicant to take the language exam to confirm his level of knowledge of the foreign language.
In Switzerland, there are two types of visas: category C and D. Type D visa is required for students who are sent for training and the duration of their trip will be more than 90 days - for example, if a foreigner plans to visit long-term language courses, study a full academic year or even several years . For students of short-term programs (lasting less than 90 days) a type C visa is eligible.
List of prestigious and popular schools in Switzerland
- College Du Leman (Geneva) - boarding school is one of the largest authoritative schools in Switzerland, where training in bilingual system (English and French) is available. The cost of training is 42500CHF / semester. Available school programs for the British, American, Swiss, French education system.
- St. Georges School Montreux (Montreux) is one of the top 50 boarding schools in the country: 100% of graduates enter the prestigious universities of the world, the institution is distinguished by a high level of academic training of Russians and foreigners. Available middle classes in English, GCSE, International Baccalaureate Diploma, the cost of training - from 94760CHF / year
- Institut auf dem Rosenberg (Sankt Galelen) is the best boarding school in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, the tuition fee is from 28000CHF / trimester. Programs: Abitur, Maturita Italiana, Swiss Matura Diploma, GCSE, A-level, AP, High School Diploma.
- Institut Monte Rosa (Montreux) is included in the TOP-5 of prestigious family-type schools in the country: here you can get a quality European education, for example, under the programs of primary and secondary classes, GCSE, A-level, Advanced Placement, visit language summer and winter courses, prepare for linguistic exams. The cost of training is from 20300CHF / trimester.
- Champittet College (Lausanne) is a private school with a full board or half board. Available programs: primary and secondary classes in English, Swiss Federal Maturite, French Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate and academic French courses. The tuition fee for the academic program is from 19530CHF / trimester, academic French from 16680CHF / trimester.
- Surval Montreux (Montreux) is a boarding school for girls with high school programs in English, GCSE, A-Level, International Foundation. The price of training is from 86000CHF / year.