International Year One in University of South Carolina
- Age of participants: from 17 years;
- Duration of the programs: 2 semesters (9 months), 3 semesters (12 months);
- Classes start: January, May, August;
- Level of English:
- Integrated program: IELTS 6.5 (indicators in all sections not below 6.0) / TOEFL 77 / Pearson Versant 69;
- Academic: IELTS 5.5 (indicators in all sections not lower than 5.0) / TOEFL 68 / Pearson Versant 50;
- Extended: IELTS 5.0 (metrics in all sections no lower than 4.5) / TOEFL 60 / Pearson Versant 45.
- Education: completed secondary school;
- Language of instruction: English.
About the educational course: Foreign students entering the higher education programs in the US need to overcome a number of difficulties, such as:
- The language barrier;
- New style and methods for the student;
- The system of education, life and living.
For a successful transition and adaptation to life and study in the United States, the University has a special program, the International Year One, which includes courses for the first year of undergraduate studies, additional support for academic and domestic issues. Based on their academic performance and language level, students choose one of three options:
- Integrated Program;
- Academic Accelerator Program;
- Extended Program.
Each of them contains three directions:
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- STEM and Computer Science (STEM and Computer Science)
- Business and Finance (Business and Finance).
According to the direction, a list of the subjects studied is formed. Characteristics:
- Flexibility: With the academic model adopted in the US, students can change the areas of study and engage in what they really want;
- Academic / career / household consultations: Each student has access to a team of consultants designed to help solve all emerging issues. Specialists consist of: advisors for work with students, academic teachers and English teachers, career advisors and consultants on specializations;
- Small educational groups: Guarantees eduaction in a quiet environment, where teachers have the opportunity to devote maximum time to each student and explain all difficult questions;
- Selection and change of specialization: During the first year of study, it is possible to study the various directions of Major, in order to better understand which of them is most appropriate;
- Individual support: Participants receive advice and assistance, up to the acquisition of the SIM card to the phone, meeting / wires at the airport and other matters;
- Involvement in American cultural experience: The "Living, Learning, Growing" course provides eduaction in social, professional and academic skills so that students can quickly adapt, build social networks, make new friends and reveal their talents
- Career Accelerator: Students attend special classes to develop career skills and job placement skills. These seminars are very important for foreign students, as they give them a serious basis in understanding how the US labor market is structured and how to start your career path to a young specialist.
In addition to language classes and adaptation workshops, students study a whole range of academic disciplines that give a serious knowledge base. Students attend separate lectures for foreign students, and joint ones - with students from the United States. Also, students earn credits - 2 semester courses are evaluated in 24 credits, and 3 semester - in 30. After the completion of the program, students pass to the second year of the bachelor's degree in the chosen specialty.
Types of programs and sample curriculum:
Integrated Program: The 2-semester course is designed for students from any country of the world who have a high level of English and academic knowledge. The course includes academic, cultural, professional and linguistic support, a reliable component of counseling and mentoring, as well as priority access to the most exclusive courses on demand.
Main advantages of the course:
- Course for applicants with a high level of knowledge;
- Priority access to the selection of courses selected together with an academic counselor, which correspond to the interests and career goals of the student;
- Advanced support from mentors, access to necessary resources and opportunities;
- Expanded career development;
- Additional measures for adaptation and integration.
Curriculum of the course:
- Semester 1:
- «To live, study, grow 2»;
- Course of laboratory science;
- Mathematical Course;
- Global citizenship and multicultural understanding (contains 3 different courses);
- Semester 2:
- «To live, to study, to grow 3»;
- 1 discipline in the chosen field;
- 2 discipline in the direction.
Academic program: 2-semester program, designed specifically for students who have a fairly high level of knowledge, but who want additional support. The curriculum offers a balance of university and exclusive courses, as well as classes in English, which teach students practical, subject vocabulary and skills. Features of the course:
- English-language eduaction, oriented to the social and academic needs of the student;
- Students earn credits, which then pass to the bachelor's specialty account;
- Integration with open and closed courses (some classes are held jointly with students from the US, and some - only with foreign participants).
The educational program contains:
- Semester 1:
- Seminar "To live, learn, grow 2";
- English for Academic Purposes 2:;
- Critical analysis, composition and presentation;
- The course of laboratory science;
- Mathematical course.
- Semester 2:
- Seminar "To live, learn, grow 2";
- English for Academic Purposes (Advanced Academic Writing and Communication);
- Global citizenship and multi-cultural understanding (includes 3 courses + supplement);
- Academic course in the chosen field.
Extended program: 3-semester course for students who need extensive support in English and disciplines. It consists of intensive language classes, a body of disciplines and adaptation seminars. For three semesters, students receive a solid foundation of knowledge, which will be useful to them later - both in the learning process and in life.
Advantages of the course:
- Contextual program combining language, academic studies and cultural experience;
- Individual education, academic consultations, support and assistance from university staff;
- Personalized instruction in English language - development of skills and level of proficiency;
- Credits transferred to the baccalaureate.
Disciplines of the plan:
- 1 Semester:
- Adaptation workshop "To live, learn, grow" (level 1);
- English for Academic Purposes (Level 1);
- English for Academic Purposes (English Grammar in the Context);
- Subject of choice: Oceans and society or the Basics of Art;
- 2 Semester:
- Seminar "To live, learn, grow" (level 2);
- English Language: Linguistic Skills for International Students (Levels 1 and 2): Critical Analysis, Composition and Presentation;
- Course of laboratory science (including supplement);
- Course of mathematics (including supplement);
- Technology for Academic Purposes (TAP).
- 3 Semester:
- Seminar "To live, learn, grow" (level 3);
- Linguistic skills for international students (level 3): in-depth academic writing and communication;
- Global citizenship and multicultural understanding (optional);
- Academic course in the field.