Nowadays, studying abroad is a great opportunity to get a quality education, to learn the language at a high level, to get acquainted with the culture of the country and establish business contacts around the world. That is why studying in America is a great option for getting an education.
Also the great advantage of studying in the USA is its prestige all over the world, high qualification of teachers, use of the newest technologies and methods of training. The certificate of education of the American sample gives a chance to enter many famous educational institutions.
California is a state in the US that stretches along the Pacific Ocean. The capital of the state is the city of Sacramento, and the largest and most interesting cities to visit are Los Angeles and San Francisco. Students who decide to continue their studies in this state will be able to enjoy beautiful beaches, amazing nature and a huge number of interesting sights. Also in the state there is a huge number of different schools , colleges and universities .
The US Education System
The American system of education is very different from Russian and has several levels:
- Primary school - 6-12 years
- Secondary school - 12-14 years
- The senior school is 15-18 years old.
The main difference is manifested during the training in high school, when students begin to earn so-called loans. Students receive 1 credit for mastering and successfully surrendering one of the disciplines. For 4 years of high school students should earn from 20-24 credits depending on the chosen educational institution for successful entering the university.
Training after grade 8.9
For foreign students after the 8.9 grade, the best option is to study at 9.10 grades of the American school . In this case, schoolchildren from Russia and other countries will be able to complete the full educational program of the upper grades on a par with their American counterparts.
Also, during the training period, foreign students will be able to get comfortable in a new learning environment, find friends at school, develop English, achieve necessary knowledge in academic disciplines, gain practical experience and get acquainted with the cultural peculiarities of America.
All subjects in the American school are divided into mandatory and optional (optional). Traditionally compulsory subjects are:
- Natural sciences (chemistry, physics, biology)
- Social sciences, which include history, the US government and some other subjects
- Physical education or one of the sports.
Optional subjects usually include:
- Foreign language (French, Spanish, German, Russian, Eastern languages, Greek or Latin)
- Computer science (IT-technologies, computer science, computer graphics and others)
- Work (in these classes, students can study applied sciences)
- Publishing (journalism, editorial and others).
Also great importance is paid to extracurricular activities - creative and sports circles. For example, students who are successful in sports can count on a scholarship upon admission to the university.
Upon completion of the training, students take exams and receive a certificate with final scores. In some schools, it is possible to enroll in a strengthened program during the 11th and 12th grades, which allows students to pass the Advanced Placement or IB Diploma exams .
The tuition fee varies widely and varies depending on the prestige of the chosen institution, ranging from $ 10,000 to $ 25,000 per semester.
Top 10 schools in California:
- Pacific Collegiate Charter (Pacific Collegiate Charter)
- Oxford Academy (Oxford Academy)
- Whitney High School (Whitney High School)
- KIPP San Jose Collegiate (San Jose High School KIPP Collegiate)
- Preuss School UCSD
- Lowell High School (Lowell High School)
- University High School (Fresno) (University of Fresno High School)
- Hawthorne Math and Science Academy (Academy of Mathematics and Science of Hawthorne)
- University Preparatory Academy Charter (Charter School, University Preparatory Academy)
- Los Angeles Center for Enriched Studies (Los Angeles Enrichment Research Center).
Training after grade 10
After the 10th grade, foreign students can apply for two-year programs Advanced Placement (AP) or IB Diploma. Both programs are aimed at preparing a student for university entrance, the difference between them is the submission of material.
Advanced Placement (AP) (Advanced Course) is an American educational program that focuses on the detailed study of each topic from various perspectives.
IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) is an international program that allows you to study a subject in conjunction with other sciences and in a time-frame.
Diplomas of these two programs are recognized in most US universities. However, it should be noted that the AP program has greater recognition and dissemination in America.
Training after grade 11
Graduates of the senior school can enter at once to university or college at presence of necessary knowledge and skills, and also a sufficient level of English language. The level of English is confirmed by the results of the international TOEFL test .
Also for the receipt it is necessary to submit the following documents:
- Table of assessments for the last two years
- Motivation letter
- Characteristics from school or from work.
A great advantage at admission can be awards for sports, creative or scientific achievements. Some universities may require additional testing to determine the level of school knowledge.
It should be remembered that documents for admission to schools, colleges or universities of the US require preparation in advance, at least one year before admission.