Swiss higher education is rightfully considered to be one of the best in the world: there are many prestigious educational institutions that are known for their high academic level, modern approaches and methods, and a wide variety of programs. Every year in the universities of the country seeking to enroll students from all over the world, and the popularity of schools from year to year only increases. Educational institutions are regularly included in the TOP lists of international ratings: thus, in the first ten is the Swiss Higher Technical School. Also, universities are strong in research and development, which for the most part are financed by private companies. Institutions are divided into several types:
There are few private universities in the country, most of the funding comes from the budget of the confederation or a certain region.
QS World University Rankings
The company Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) annually provides professional ratings of educational institutions, the calculations in which are based on the scores for the following indicators:
QS also compiles lists for individual sciences and directions - for example, a university can occupy a low place in the general rating, but be in the first 20-kyo for a certain discipline. According to QS Ranking, 4 Swiss institutions are in TOP-100 (indicated in the international ranking):
10. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (Swiss Higher Technical School of Zurich)
12. Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) (Lausanne Polytechnic School)
73. University of Zurich (University of Zurich)
78. University of Geneva (University of Geneva).
The Times Higher Education (THE)
The edition has its own, carefully thought-out methodology for counting, and each year presents reports and ratings of educational institutions that are recognized in the world scientific community as exceptionally high-quality. When calculating the total score, the following indicators are taken into account:
In addition to the general list, THE presents data on individual sciences, regions of the world, general characteristics and other classifications. According to THE best in Switzerland are (the positions in the general international list are given):
10. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
38. Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL)
95. University of Basel (University of Basel)
105. University of Bern (University of Bern)
130. University of Geneva
136. University of Zurich
152. University of Lausanne (University of Lausanne).
According to such indicators as the citation index, the reputation among employers and the total number of foreign students, Swiss institutions are among the best in the world.
US News & World Report
The American edition of US News & World Report publishes a professional and significant rating, the methodology of which includes the following indicators:
US News & World Report usually includes the following institutions in the top 100 from Switzerland (ranked in the rating):
35. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
40. Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL)
70. University of Zurich
91. University of Geneva.
In addition, prestigious universities of applied sciences deserve to be mentioned, which occupy low places in the general world ratings, but they have quite high indicators for certain sciences and directions. The best universities of applied sciences (the position in the national rating is indicated):
12. Zurcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften
14. BFH Berner Fachhochschule
18. Zurcher Hochschule der Künste
19. Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
20. Hochschule für Technik Rapperswil
21. Hochschule Luzern
29. Haute École d'Ingénierie et de Gestion du Canton de Vaud
43. École Hoteliere de Lausanne
46. Hochschule für Wirtschaft Zürich
61. Haute École de Theater de Suisse Romande Haute école spécialisée de Suisse occidentale.