- Benefits, the main features of education in American schools
- Education system: main educational levels and programs
- Diplomas and degrees of American universities
- Opportunities for Russian students
Studying in the US attracts students and students from all over the world, nearly 600,000 foreigners study here. Such popularity is connected both with prestige, and with practical skills that students receive in educational institutions.
Benefits, the main features of education in American schools
- In America, the training system is built in such a way that the certificate of the end of the American school guarantees entry into almost all US universities . 90% of students in private schools fall into the top universities, including the universities of the famous Ivy League
- A universally recognized fact: education in America at the highest level, is practice oriented and reflects all the latest trends in the scientific world
- The most important feature of schools and universities of the country is the strongest teaching staff and modern technologies, with most universities there are powerful research centers
- The US educational system is highly adapted to the ever-evolving society and its needs, it has a special flexibility
- In the US there are many educational institutions that differ from each other in the uniqueness of programs and their traditions. However, the indisputable common feature of all educational centers is the benevolence towards foreign students, assistance in adapting and specially selected academic programs
- A big difference from Russian schools and universities is the individual approach in everything. So, in high school and universities, students study under an individual program, rather than a general academic
- In state educational institutions there are no unified rules of admission: the procedure for admission can vary significantly
- The length and age for admission to the first grade of the American school may vary according to the state: children begin to study in the age range of 5-8 years and finish school at 18-19.
Education system: main educational levels and programs
- In America, public and private schools operate. Private are elite educational institutions, distinguished by high quality of education and advanced equipment
- In the states there are about 90,000 state, 30,000 private boarding, 4,000 colleges and universities (among them more than half are private)
- A prerequisite for admission is pre-school pre-training
- The academic year, like in Russia, is divided into quarters, the academic week consists of 5 days. Lessons last from 8:30 to 15: 00/16: 00
- The education system is multistage, based on the age principle:
Name of institution
Age of child
Diplomas and types of certificates
5-12 years old
1 - 5/6 class
High school diploma
3. Middle School (Middle Classes)
11-12 / 14 years
5/6 grade-8 class
4. High School (High School)
5. Community Colleges (optional)
Obtaining associate's degree (equivalent to secondary specialized education in Russia)
6. Colleges and universities (optional) from 3 years and more
+ 2 years
From 3 years and more
Doctor of Philosophy Degree
2. Forms and learning process in the leading schools of America
The curriculum necessarily involves the study of the following subjects: English, natural and humanitarian subjects, mathematics, art, subjects about human health. The emphasis is on sports training: both compulsory trainings and optional ones are planned (swimming, tennis, golf, etc.). In the middle classes, the student starts to choose disciplines, in high school students focus on entering the university and choosing a profession. Not only good grades are important in school, but an active life position. Among the Russian schoolchildren, the following prestigious schools received particularly positive reviews and ratings: Webb Schools, The MacDuffie School, Leman Manhattan Preparatory , Grier School and Idyllwild Arts Academy.
3. Training programs, certificates and diplomas of American models
The high school program can be of several types:
- American High School Diploma - the program is more popular, at the end of the course, students receive a diploma of secondary education
- International Baccalaureate , or IB Diploma for schoolchildren who graduated from the 10th grade, specializes in preparation for the university
- Advanced Placement (AP) is a two-year course that prepares foreign students for university.
Post-secondary education involves preparation for higher education - you can get this education in universities and colleges at special courses.
An alternative way to study at the university is offered by community colleges: students undergo two-year profile programs and, subject to good academic performance, can enroll in the third year of the university. The cost of training in them is much lower.
4 . List of the best universities, features of study
American universities offer the most topical academic programs - students have the opportunity to engage in advanced scientific laboratories and to undergo training in a large international company. On the US universities you can speak endlessly, and the list of top universities is almost endless: Yale University , Princeton University , Harvard University, Stanford University , Columbia University , Massachusetts Institute of Technology and many others.
Diplomas and degrees of American universities
3-6 years old
Opportunities for Russian students
- Scholarships and grants. For foreigners in the United States, the number of scholarships is more than 2000, they are very diverse and give many advantages. Scholarships and grants make it possible to study in universities almost for free. For example, sports scholarships are awarded for outstanding achievements in sports. A number of universities provide free education, as they award scholarships that cover the full cost (Williams College (MA), Trinity College (CT), Stanford University (CA), Harvard University (MA), Duke University (NC))
- Guardianship. Schoolchildren under the age of 18 are required to have an official representative in the US. Typically, private schools offer their representative as a guardian
- Homologation of the certificate. Confirmation of the certificate takes place in specialized agencies, at the same time, language and academic requirements are put forward, examinations that are handed out by American students before entering the college ( TOEFL , SATI and SATII, ACT)
- Nostrification of the diploma. Confirmation of diplomas of Russian universities is an urgent issue for Russians abroad. The US is no exception in this case. However, the requirements for confirmation may differ depending on the specialty and conditions of the employer. Confirmation of diplomas is carried out by specialized agencies
- Features of accommodation. For foreigners, there are several options for accommodation: in host families, on campus or in residences. Great popularity is enjoyed by boarding schools , which remove the issue of guardianship and guarantee constant monitoring of the student. Schools, as a rule, have a good location: either in the very center of the megalopolis, or in the bosom of nature in small cozy towns
After graduation, the student has the right:
- Stay in the country for 14 months in order to find and hire a job.
- 29 months - "fora" graduates of exact and natural directions
- the opportunity to legally stay on probation at the end of studies for a duration of 12 to 18 months
Cost of education
Prices for training depend on various factors - below are the prices for study and living in schools and universities America for the year
- Public School: from 7000 $
- Private school: from 35000 $ -55000 $
- State University: from $ 12,000
- Private university - from 40000 $.