Mon-Fri 8-17, Sat-Sun 10-16
(UK time)
  • Services
    • Services and prices
    • Immigration and citizenship
    • Scholarships
    • Tutoring and preparation for schools, universities abroad
  • Information
  • Partnership
    • Group travel
    • For teachers
    • Terms of partnership (for agents)
    • Instructions (for agents)
    • FAQ (for agents)
    • For schools
    • Educational fairs
    • Advertising
  • Contacts

Student visa to the Netherlands


Specific details

To obtain a tourist (short-term, with a stay of no more than 90 days in half a year) visa to the Netherlands, you need to contact the VFS Global Visa Center. If you need a long-term student visa, you should contact the Dutch Embassy in Moscow to insert a visa, having previously prepared a package of documents with your educational institution. Long-term visa (MVV) is issued strictly by the Embassy by appointment.

If you plan to visit several countries of the Schengen area, then you should contact the consulate of the country in which you will spend the most days. If the number of days is equal, then you need to contact the consulate of the country that will be the first.

The Consulate always reserves the right to request any additional documents that it deems necessary to make a decision.

Short stay visa Schengen visa

Required documents:

  • A valid international passport, valid for at least 3 months after the expiration of the visa, containing at least 2 blank pages and issued no earlier than 10 years ago, and copies of its completed pages.

If applicable: other valid and / or canceled international passports. Copies of the completed pages of the above documents must be provided only if it is impossible to provide these documents in the original.

  • Civil passport + copy of the main page with a photo and a page with registration.
  • Visa application form fully completed in English and signed by the applicant. For minors: a form signed by both parents or legal guardian.
  • Two color photographs 3.5 x 4.5 cm on a light background.
  • Medical insurance covering the entire period of stay, valid for all countries of the European Union and covering all costs that may arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention, emergency hospitalization or death during the stay. The minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000.
  • Foreign citizens must provide: visa + registration, valid for at least 3 months after returning to the homecountry; or a residence permit; either a temporary residence permit; or work permit / patent + registration valid for at least 3 months after returning to the homecountry.
  • Original invitation: a written request from a Dutch university / institute / academy / college / school indicating the place of residence + student card or certificate for attending courses.
  • Proof of solvency (from the inviting party or from the employer or the visa applicant himself): at least 34 euros for each day of stay in the Netherlands (bank statement, on the recommendation of the Embassy, must be provided in euros).

For minors:

  • Copy of birth certificate
  • A copy of the main page of the civil passport from both parents
  • Parental consent:
    • Minors traveling with one of the parents must provide the original and a copy of the notarized travel authorization from the other parent. The original returned by the Embassy will need to be shown at the border when leaving.
    • Minors traveling without parents must provide the original and a copy of a notarized exit permit from both parents. The original returned by the Embassy will need to be shown at the border when leaving.
    • if the child is being raised by only one parent, it is also necessary to provide the original and a copy of the document from the second (for example, death certificate, court decision on deprivation of parental rights). The original returned by the Embassy will need to be shown at the border when leaving.
  • A copy of a valid Schengen visa of the parent (s) traveling with a minor for whom the visa was not requested at the same time as the parent (s).
  • For students: a certificate from the place of study (school or university, issued no earlier than 1 month before the date of submission). If the trip falls on the study period, the certificate must indicate that it is allowed not to attend classes.

Long Term Visa

To travel to the Netherlands for the purpose of study, the duration of which is more than 90 days in six months, citizens need to obtain a long-term MVV visa. An MVV study visa is issued with the help of your educational institution immediately after enrollment and financial issues. You need to carefully read the requirements for the documents that your educational institution will send. As a rule, the most important documents are financial.

There are a number of ways to demonstrate that a student has the right amount to live on. This can be a certificate from the bank about the availability of the required amount, transfer of funds to the deposit account of the university (in whole or in part), or the award of a scholarship that covers living and educational costs.

After the university receives all the necessary documents, it sends an application to the Immigration Service, where a decision on issuing a visa is made. On average, it takes about 3-5 weeks to process an MVV student visa application . After the decision of the Dutch Immigration Service to issue a visa, the university informs the student about it.

Next, you need to sign up and apply to the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and come to the visa application. If additional documents are needed, the Consulate will inform you. As a rule, they ask you to take your passport, 2 photos for a visa in the format of 3.5 by 4.5 cm, any documents related to the purpose of the trip, and a questionnaire for the visa insert.

The visa is issued for 3 months for entry. After you enter the Netherlands, you need to register at the place of residence in the city municipality within 8 days and obtain a temporary residence permit.

Egor Eremeev
Current material has been prepared by Egor Eremeev
Education: Westminster University (Business & Management), London.
Egor studied and lived in the UK for 8 years and graduated from the university of Westminster. He is currently the co-founder and the director of business development at Smapse Education and personally visits foreign schools and universities, interviews students studying in those institutions.
Callback Online consultant
Напишите нам, мы онлайн!