It can be difficult to understand the system of secondary education due to the vague terms and modernization of the system of secondary educational institutions inherited from the USSR. Let's talk about the current state of secondary specialized education in Russia - what are the alternatives to universities for modern schoolchildren?
Secondary education in Moscow: help
- General education is the first level of education, which is not equated either with professional or special education. In a broad sense, general education includes: preschool, primary general, basic general, secondary (complete) general and additional.
- Basic general (grades 5-9) - the second stage of general education (after primary school). An obligatory stage for obtaining secondary (complete) general and primary vocational education.
- Secondary general (grades 10-11) - the third stage of general education. In accordance with the Law of the Russian Federation "On Education" secondary general education is generally available, but not compulsory.
- What does secondary specialized education mean - training in the specialty of the basic or secondary level in colleges, technical schools and schools.
Secondary education in Moscow: 4 facts
Schools and grammar schools
You can get a complete secondary education by completing grades 10-11 at school. The school system is represented by a huge number of educational institutions, public and private. Schools in Moscow can vary greatly in terms of academic background, curriculum, profile classes and extracurricular activities. You can get secondary education in schools, lyceums and gymnasiums. Special attention is paid to gymnasiums - educational institutions with advanced programs and specialized classes. They are suitable for children with good academic performance and aptitude, but the intensity of the programs makes them difficult even for talented children. Often, gifted students move to gymnasiums in high school because of the profile groups and the intensive program.
Certificate of secondary education in Moscow
A matriculation certificate obtained at a prestigious Moscow school or gymnasium will show the level of preparation of the applicant upon admission to universities, but abroad it is not quoted in all countries. School certificates are often only partially recognized in Western countries due to the difference in training systems (duration and set of subjects in the exam).
International level certificate
Every year in Moscow there are more and more opportunities to get an international school certificate, but so far only on a paid basis. Private schools offer training in international programs, for example:
- President = Russian program + International Baccalaureate
- European Gymnasium = International Baccalaureate MYP + Russian program
- Cambridge International School = British + Russian
- Letovo = Russian + International IB.
The best educational institutions
Where to get secondary general education in Moscow: rating of educational institutions
- CIS International School
- School number 1535
- Lomonosov school
- Lyceum "Second School"
- Linguistic Economic School-Lyceum
- School №57
- School of Cooperation
- School number 1514
- Pirogov school
- Bauman Engineering School No. 1580
- Academic gymnasium
- School number 548 "Tsaritsyno"
- Moscow School of Economics
- School number 1568 named after Pablo Neruda
- Pavlovsk gymnasium.
Specialized secondary education in Moscow: current state
Due to the fuzziness of the term to begin clarify what secondary special education. The USSR had a developed educational system that trained workers. In modern Russia in recent decades there has been an active modernization of the inherited Soviet system. In 2013, all secondary specialized educational institutions began to be called professional educational organizations, which are represented by schools, technical schools and colleges. The duration of training in them will be from 2 to 4 years, and in their specificity, modern professional organizations are very different from the Soviet ones: the modernization of educational equipment has been launched, outdated programs are gradually being eliminated, teachers are undergoing refresher courses. This is not the end of the modernization process - one of the presidential messages talks about modernizing more than 2,000 workshops in colleges and schools by 2022. The Deputy Prime Minister announced that by 2024 new equipment will appear in 5 thousand workshops with 25 thousand places.
Recall that secondary specialized education is 11 classes + training in a college, technical school or school.
College, technical school and school: what is the difference between specialized secondary educational institutions?
- Colleges - provide basic and advanced training in the chosen specialty. The duration of training programs is usually 3-4 years. The educational process is close to the university one: the year is divided into semesters, students attend seminars and take sessions. The range of specialties is huge, from technical and highly specialized to creative professions. Colleges often operate on the basis of universities, and the final exams are considered by universities as entrance exams. For these reasons, colleges are best suited for students intending to continue their education at universities.
- College - offers basic training programs. The duration of the programs will be 2-3 years, and the study is like a school. In technical schools, you can get highly specialized, working specialties, so they are suitable for those who want to start working as soon as possible.
- Schools resemble technical schools, the duration of study is up to 4 years. Schools provide a set of knowledge and skills most necessary for work. College students receive working professions.
What specialty can you master in vocational schools?
Traditional areas are in high demand - medicine, education, economics and engineering. Educational institutions are introducing more and more new programs:
- Mechatronics and Mobile Robotics
- Additive technologies
- System administration
- Graphic design
- "Technology of aesthetic services" (cosmetologists and masseurs).
Admission to secondary specialized educational institutions
Admission to secondary vocational education usually does not require passing entrance exams. If there are more applicants for budget places than the places themselves, a certificate competition begins. Some professional and creative programs require a portfolio or admissions test. Upon admission to such areas as "General Medicine", "Obstetrics", "Nursing", "Advertising" and "Pedagogy of additional education" will need to pass an interview. The deadlines for submitting an application for training have been shifted: this is done so that applicants who have not entered the university have time to apply to the secondary school.
College, specialized secondary education
A popular direction among applicants is colleges at universities. A post-college diploma in secondary specialized education in Moscow simplifies the university admission process and shortens the duration of bachelor's programs. Popular destinations:
- Technique and technology of land transport
- Construction and housing and communal services
- Aerospace engineering
- Industrial equipment and communication systems
- Organization of services in public catering
- Service and light industry
- Technosphere safety
Colleges at universities in Moscow:
- College of Geodesy and Cartography at Moscow State University of Geodesy and Cartography
- College of Humanities and Law at Moscow City Pedagogical University
- Pedagogical College at the Moscow City Pedagogical University
- College at the Moscow State Institute of Tourism Industry
- University College of Information Technologies, Moscow State University of Technology and Management
- Faculty (college) at Moscow State University of Instrumentation and Informatics
- College at FSBEI HPE "Higher School of Folk Arts".
Moscow's medical colleges train mid-level specialists in the following areas: general medicine (qualification "Paramedic"), nursing (qualification "Nurse"), laboratory diagnostics (qualification "Medical laboratory technician"). List of colleges:
- Medical College number 1
- Medical College number 2
- Medical College number 5
- Medical College number 6
- Medical College number 7
- St. Demetrius School of Sisters of Mercy
- Medical College of the Administrative Department of the President of the Russian Federation.
Secondary special pedagogical education remotely
Previously, it was possible to master the profession of a teacher in pedagogical colleges, but today some of the pedagogical colleges are closed, and the other part is subordinated to the Moscow State Pedagogical University:
- College "Arbat" (former Pedagogical College No. 9)
- College "Dorogomilovo" (former Pedagogical College No. 6)
- Izmailovo College (former Pedagogical College No. 8)
- College "Maroseyka" (former pedagogical college № 7 "Maroseyka")
- College "Maryina Roshcha" (former Pedagogical College No. 16)
- College "Medvedkovo" (former Pedagogical College No. 14)
- College "Cheryomushki" (former teacher training college number 4)
- College them. S. Ya. Marshak (former Pedagogical College No. 13).
Most teacher training colleges offer commercial training and can be attended by full-time or part-time. In recent years, specialized secondary education has been actively introduced remotely in Moscow.
Professional educational institutions in Moscow: average mark of the certificate, cost of training
College of Architecture, Design and Reengineering No. 26
- 52 programs
- 1700 budget places
- Average mark of the certificate: from 3.0
- Cost of commerce: 50,000R.
College of Communications № 54 named after P.M. Vostrukhina
- 12 programs
- 900 budget places
- Average mark of the certificate: from 3.5
- Cost of commerce: 130,000R.
Moscow technological college
- 15 programs
- 765 budget places
- Average mark of the certificate: from 3.2.
College of Rail and Urban Transportation
- 18 programs
- 625 budget places
- Average mark of the certificate: from 3.2
- Cost of commerce: 130,000R.
College of Automation and Information Technology No. 20
- 10 programs
- 590 budget places
- Average mark of the certificate: from 3.3
- Commerce cost: 48,000R.
Ivan Fedorov Moscow Publishing and Printing College
- 7 programs
- 365 budget places
- Average mark of the certificate: from 3.5
- Commerce cost: 120,000R.