Of the priority countries where students prefer to receive music education abroad, it is mainly worth noting Great Britain , USA and Germany . Also worth paying attention to Austria , especially the institutions of Vienna and Salzburg, but in the history of music Austria and Germany are united in a single musical space, the common homeland of European classical music, and therefore the requirements and specificity of institutions are very similar.
Training programs are quite diverse: you can get a bachelor's degree (4 years), a master's degree (2 years) or a doctoral degree (3 years minimum). Let's turn in more detail to the specifics of each country.
Everyone loves music in the United Kingdom: in any general secondary school - both private and public - there is a studio for playing musical instruments, choirs and vocal groups, orchestras and jazz bands.
The most prestigious educational organization in this field is the Tech Music Schools (TMS) - the main directions are vocal, guitar (including bass guitar), drums and percussion, and keyboard instruments. Most institutions are located within West London, which gives students the opportunity to work with the best performers, collectives and educators.
For schoolchildren and young children, it makes sense to get an initial training and try your hand in the following ways:
- Music Hubs (available in every major residential area): here you can get practice of orchestral play , Rent tools, find a teacher
- To participate in the activity of a school orchestra and a musical group - this may be the National Children's Orchestra, the National Youth Orchestra, the CBSO youth orchestra and others (usually a competition is conducted on a competitive basis), to participate in a festival or regional, national Competition
- Take private lessons from a trusted teacher (usually based on recommendations). The downside is a fairly high cost (from 35 pounds per hour), as well as the dense employment of the most sought-after and experienced teachers
- Junior departments (the so-called "Saturday schools"): these are often associations of private educators, many of them belong to and work with well-known music universities. Among the most popular and popular ones are RAM Junior (Junior Royal Academy of Music), Junior Royal College of Music, Guildhall Junior School and Trinity Junior (all inLondon ).
- Specialized music schools: the most prestigious institutions suitable for those children who want to make music their profession - the education here is conducted practically on a professional level. Excellent examples are Yeehudi Menuhin school (Surrey), Purcell, Chets (Manchester). Training here is quite expensive, but graduates demonstrate really stunning results.
Germany and Austria
Here there is a separation of educational institutions according to their specifics. If you want to study the theory and history of music, polyphony, become practically a musician-scientist - choose universities, they focus on studying the theory, graduates often become teachers. If you are planning to build a career as an artist - your road lies in the conservatory. Conservatories as profile schools teach the possession of musical instruments, produce composers and talented vocalists.
The special feature of the training is also a huge and rich concert practice: students do a lot with the teacher individually, play in small groups, give concerts and performances, participate in major events and festivals.
It is worth to go to America for training, if you want to become a successful sound engineer or producer, you dream of organizing large-scale bright shows and concerts. Also there are excellent faculties of training musicians and vocalists in the genre of rock - from classical to modern indie. It is worth noting the following institutions:
- The Julliard School (New York): teach the playing of musical instruments, vocals, dramatic art and choreography, there is a department for organizing concerts and shows;
- School of Music Yale University : specialization lies in the field of opera, vocals and music history
- Harvard : doctoral degrees are offered (for example, the philosophy of music), and the economic directions of the music industry are also well developed
- Berklee College of Music: famous for the branches of commercially popular music, jazz -bands.
HOW TO ACT?
In general, Russian students can enroll in a university abroad after graduation from school and secondary education. It will be required to present a certificate (assessments must be very good or excellent), and also must demonstrate excellent knowledge of English (German) language. Most often, you can confirm the knowledge with the certificate of the international exam: SAT, ACT, A-levels or GCSE.
The general list of documents for submission may vary depending on the requirements of the university, but in general it includes:
- Completed application form
- Copies of secondary education certificate or Bachelor's Degree (translated and certified)
- Extract from the record book with grades (also translated and certified)
- Awards, letters of commendation, gratitude - everything that marks the high level of your achievements
- The results of the language examination and testing on the level of knowledge
- Reference letters from former teachers.
The cost of study on the undergraduate program is from 8 to 30 thousand US dollars for academic year. For gifted and stubborn students there are scholarships and grants that allow you to get up to 50% discount on training, but it is difficult to get them - if you are planning music studies abroad, be ready to pay full price.