Mon-Fri 8-17, Sat-Sun 10-16
(UK time)
Invite your friends and get a discount
on the program or visa support!

How to study in schools in Canada


Show all
How to study in schools in Canada


The secondary education system here is similar to American - the vast majority of Canadian children attend public schools (about 95%), and the remaining 5% are enrolled in private schools. Education in Canada is a harmonious combination of the tradition of Europe and American freedom, excellent learning and living conditions, and the use of the newest technologies in the learning process.

How to study in Canadian schools

Since 2 languages are officially recognized by the state in this country, the training can be carried out both in the English-language program and in the French-speaking one. The boys and girls study mostly together, but parents can choose an educational institution with separate education, as well as only daytime or, conversely, withfull board .

In the first class, children go to 6 years of age, and the primary school in grade 6 ends. From the age of 13, students become middle school students. Also in some provinces, during primary education there is a division into elementary schools (grades 1-6) and middle school (grades 7-8), and the middle begins in grades 9-12 and is designated asHigh Schools .

In the first years, students from Canadian schools study compulsory subjects that are taught in the form of an integrated course combining basic knowledge in mathematics, grammar, and literature. Also, children are taught on a combined natural science course (physics, chemistry, biology), and of course they teach such necessary skills as working with a computer. Every next year priority is increasingly given to elective disciplines - that is, the student focuses on subjects that will increase his competitiveness upon admission tohigher education institution or with employment.

How many years of studying in Canada?

In the vast majority of Canadian schools, secondary education takes 12 years. The exception is Ontario or Quebec - there the program is designed for 13 and 11 years respectively.

What is taught in Canadian schools?

It is worth noting that the average educational institutions in Canadaare striving not only to provide their pupils with a high-quality, modern education, but the safety of being on the territory of an educational institution due to the carefully thought-out organization of children's stay surrounded by caring staff and teachers.

And here are some aspects in Canada's schools that are paid close attention:

  • Independent work. In the Canadian school, each student performs a personal task: he must prepare a paper on a certain topic and protect it in an oral format before his class.
  • Submission of documents to the university. When a student reaches the 12th grade, a discipline appears in the program, devoted to how to submit documents to the university of interest in order to enroll. In schools there is a consultant on this issue - to him any student can ask for help and discuss with him the necessary steps and plans for the future.
  • Development of creative potential. Art is given much attention to art, both in public schools and in private schools. For such disciplines - theatrical skill, the occupation of music and playing instruments, drawing or any craft - the program provides a large number of hours.
  • Physical development. Pupils of educational institutions in Canada tend to spend a lot of time in sports halls or in nature. So, one of the available types of active leisure is skiing, which, for example,Switzerland , only pupils of very expensive schools can afford.

Tuition fees

One of the key features of secondary education in Canada is the more advantageous cost compared to other Countries -United States , Great Britain or Australia. However, the training program remains at the highest level. Thus, one year of training will cost in the amount of 10 to 20-30 thousand Canadian dollars, depending on the school chosen.

Read also...

Your comment/review/question:
Callback Selection of course free Online consultant