Ampleforth College (School-Board Ampleforth College) was founded in 1802 in a small town of the same name. Its founders were the monastery of Benedictine and Abbey of St. Laurence, adjacent to the territory of the school. Both the director and some of the staff of the school were and still are monks - therefore, the school is taught in accordance with the Christian standards of the Roman Catholic school.
Initially, the institution presupposed the training of only boys (which is typical for British boarding houses, especially religious ones), but from the year 2000-2004, girls from 13 to 18 can study at school. The school actively cooperates with the nearby Gilling Castle preparatory school, giving the county students a complete educational cycle - from junior to senior grades.
Students have the opportunity to go through a working practice during the holidays - this can be an excellent plus when entering the university. Intensive English courses for foreigners (EFL - "English as a foreign language"), special educational methods for children with developmental disabilities are supposed. The school is accredited and is part of the HMC (Conference of Directors and Directories of Schools).