Mon-Fri 8-17, Sat-Sun 10-16
(UK time)

Higher education in Canada for schoolchildren and students. List of schools, colleges, universities, rating, prices for training

Education information

Canada is a developed, progressive, modern country with a strong industry and beautiful nature, as well as a quality educational system and comfortable conditions for higher education. Canada is attractive not only for immigrants and tourists, but also for students from any country in the world: they provide quality, practical-oriented training, appreciate personal and professional growth, are interested in breeding valuable cadres and specialists. The level of education of the population here is extremely high - this places Canada at the second place (after the USA) for the quality of the educational system.

The foundation is the British system: the methods and principles are similar in many respects, like the approaches, the system of academic degrees, and so on. But in Canada life is quieter and safer, the standard of living is very high - while the cost of education remains fairly affordable. Of the obvious advantages, one can also mention bilingual programs (English and French are recognized on the territory of the country), the highest quality education, internationally-listed diplomas, and the opportunity to work during the training period. Moreover, after graduation, the student can earn the opportunity to stay in Canada and work on a permanent basis in the chosen field.

The authorities invest heavily in the educational system (as well as numerous public funds), this is one of the priority areas of national development. And this is very noticeable - first of all in terms of the level of equipment of universities: practically everyone has modern, innovative, technically advanced equipment for research, laboratory and design work.

Strong academic directions can be called:

  • Information Technology
  • Microelectronics
  • Engineering
  • Natural Sciences
  • ] Business.

Among the most prestigious and top universities are the institutions of Ontario and British Columbia, the most popular among foreigners. According to the statistics of the independent rating of the World University Rankings (2014-2015), among the top 400 universities in the world there are 8 Canadian universities, 4 of them in the first hundred:

  • University of Toronto = 20th place
  • University of British Columbia = 32nd place
  • McGill University = 39th place
  • McMaster University = 94th place.

Higher education in Canada for schoolchildren and students. List of schools, colleges, universities, rating, prices for training

Show on map
Sort by:
Show by:
Sort by:
Show by:

Features of the Canadian education system - higher education

The majority of higher education institutions in Canada are state-owned, they are supervised by local authorities, together with thorough state control - it refers primarily to the quality of teaching, the qualifications of teachers and the content of the programs.

There are particularities of the Canadian Master's program: Mostly students who choose teaching, research or research activities, and the study period lasts 4-5 years (one specialty). For programs Master's Program or Postgraduate Program (the most popular among foreigners) you can do with the Russian Bachelor's Degree. Thanks to the active cooperation of universities and companies in various fields, the students of the Postgraduate Program can deepen their knowledge in the chosen direction, practice and get an internship, and get a new specialty. In addition, this is a great chance to get acquainted with the national and international labor market!

Canada's immigration policy is very flexible (especially compared to the US) - foreign students can stay after graduation for 1-3 years and work in their specialty, and after receiving permanent residence for professional migration. There are special career guidance centers and departments that help students find the desired job, do not get lost in the list of offers and competently present themselves and their dignity. All the diplomas received in Canada are recognized around the world and are international.

A student can start working during the training, and special permission is not required - the official limit is 20 hours per week (during the semester), and during the holidays you can work full time. Junior students usually turn to the service sector because of low requirements and a wide range of proposals - the salary varies within the range of 9-15 CAD $ per hour. And students from the institutions of the province of Manitoba have a chance to receive a tax deduction of 60% of the cost of training!

Students can independently prepare their own study plan, vary intensity, saturation and focus, start theoretical or practical training at a convenient time. Here carefully monitor progress and virtually no re-registration - all this causes a natural selection of students: by the end of the second year, almost 50% of enrolled people are simply being screened out.

Usually the school year begins on the first Tuesday of September and lasts until May-June (the semester scheme) or throughout the summer (the trimester scheme). Training can be conducted in English, French or both languages.

Requirements for admission to university in Canada

Applicants of universities and colleges must have completed secondary education and confirm a sufficiently high level of a foreign language (usually English, more rarely French). Other requirements vary depending on the chosen educational institution - we recommend always to specify these subtleties in advance. Let us note especially the fact that, unlike many foreign countries, a Russian certificate is recognized in Canada! The standard package of documents includes:

  • High school diploma (the higher the average score, the better, special attention is given to core subjects)
  • Certificate of knowledge of a foreign language: English (TOEFL - from 86-88 balls iBT or IELTS from 6,5-7 points) or French (then DALF or internal test of the university)
  • Correctly filled Application
  • A copy of the passport - at the time of enrollment, the student must be more than 18 years old. If the required age is not attained, admission is possible, but the services of a guardian agency will be required (the presence of a guardian is a legal requirement of the law).

Prior to enrolling and submitting documents, it is recommended that foreigners attend special preparatory courses - the most popular of which is Foundation. This is a great way to improve your language skills, to improve your skills in necessary academic subjects. Graduates of the Foundation can count on a place in the most prestigious universities and colleges, and many institutions even count the successfully completed Foundation as the first year of the bachelor's degree, that is, they enlist the pupil already for the second year. This is an excellent option for saving both time and money: preparatory courses are always significantly cheaper than studying at a university.

The submission of documents is worthwhile to attend to in advance, 8-12 months before the expected start of classes, since applications are considered within 1-6 months.

Foreign students in individual cases can expect to receive scholarships: 999.17]

  • Entrance scholarships for entrants with excellent grades demonstrating a high level of knowledge
  • Sports scholarships (for participants of soccer and basketball teams successfully participating in competitions)
  • Payments for excellent academic performance (allow to cover 40-70% of expenses)
  • Grants for research activities.

Where to go to study in Canada?

Canadian institutions of higher education can be divided into two large groups - universities and colleges.

  • 1. Colleges.

Here you can get a bachelor's degree (undergraduate, 3-4 years) or a master's degree (graduate, an additional 1 to 3 years). The focus is on practical training, internships are constantly held, which makes graduates a valuable workforce. According to statistics, graduates already for 6-7 months find attractive work for themselves, without spending extra time for adaptation, getting practical experience and probation. If you are focused on the applied nature of the activity - choose colleges: there is always a program of suitable direction and duration.

  • 2. Universities.

Bachelor, Master and PhD programs are offered at universities (PhD, an additional 4 years). These institutions are aimed at both practical and theoretical training, for the most part they bring up specialists of academic profile who are also highly valued in the labor market. If you want to work in the scientific field, to be a researcher, teacher or consultant in the chosen industry, then you should choose this option.

How much does higher education cost in Canada?

With all merits, higher education in Canada is much more affordable than in the US, Europe and the UK. Nevertheless, it is not free for citizens of the country, and for foreign borderers: about 20000 CAD per academic year (which is 30-50% less than in America). But remember that manuals and books will need to be purchased separately (1200-1500 CAD $ per year), but you can visit free libraries, fitness rooms and computer classes for free.

Regarding the cost of living and living standards, everything depends on the chosen city and province, as well as the usual conditions and requirements of a specific boarder. If in small cities it will be enough 1000-2000 CAD $ per month, then for Toronto this amount will double (2000-4000 CAD $). Places for living can be found in general student residences (on campus it will cost about 500-800 CAD $ per month), in host families (the most economical option), rent an apartment or apartments together with other students.

Go to school's list ...
Your comment/review/question:
Question: 1. What is the difference in the education received at the Canadian University and in the Canadian College (we associate the concept of college, at best with a technical school, and even with a vocational school)? 2. The grandson graduated from the University (former MAI), has a bachelor's degree - what, preferably, should be his choice of further education - at a college or university? 3. After graduation, he receives a diploma. What is the difference between the diplomas of these universities? Or are they equivalent, and between them, with practical use in life, there is no difference?
Consultant Smaps
Hello Vladimir, Canada’s colleges and universities fall into the category of post-school education. Colleges offer both professional (graduate programs lasting 2-3 years) and higher education (some offer undergraduate programs lasting 4 years). After graduation from a college degree program, a student can start work or make a transfer to university for senior courses to complete it and get a completed higher education. Colleges provide more practical education, while universities offer academic studies with a scientific bias. If you complete a bachelor's degree at a Russian university, then in this case you can consider for yourself the master's programs at Canadian universities. You can also go to college for postgraduate programs, which provide an opportunity to deepen your knowledge of the current specialty or change it, if necessary. These programs are chosen by those students who already have the first degree of higher education (bachelor's degree).
Callback Selection of course free Online consultant